New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod 320GB?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Saint47

Saint47 is on a distinguished road

Hey, I'm looking to buy an MP3 player that i can use with my iTunes library which is:

1. perfectly tagged w/ album artwork and everything
2. wouldn't all fit on a 160gb iPod

I have a lot of apple lossless music. (I don't want to convert down to 320kbps if I can avoid it. I use very high quality headphones and speakers and I often plug into large speaker systems - in these situations I do notice the difference between lossless and compressed files.)

how soon do you think it will be before Apple releases a 320GB iPod? (actually at the rate my library grows, 500gb would be ideal but thats asking for a bit much i think...)
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

My guess? No time soon, unfortunately.

Look at the graphic in my sig...

QUOTE Thanks
Mac23

Mac23 is on a distinguished road

You have a lot
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Why do you need your entire music library on your iPod?

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Blimey. I could fill a 160 twice over, but I get by nicely with my 60 GB ipod.
I don't put lossless on it for the simple reason that there is no point unless you intend to spend a lot on headphones, and even then the iPod isn't the best for sound quality anyway.
320 MP3 is fine for me (in fact 192 is perfect for the iPod), Lossless is overkill IMO.

I don't think Apple will ever go above 160 gig, and given that they had issues with the 160 classic, I'd be surprised if they even go that big again.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Saint47

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
My guess? No time soon, unfortunately.

Look at the graphic in my sig...
if that is your music library, you are the next best thing to a god in my book.

someday I want to have a music library of 100,000+ songs - all tagged w/ album artwork. i figured that will take a good portion of my lifetime. i'm only 18 so i have lots of time!

do you use an iPod? or what do you use?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac23 View Post
You have a lot
You think that's a lot, check this out. My TV Show collection on my computer is 777GB alone (note I said on my computer, I have tons more backed up on DVDs). My music collection is 35GB. My movies take up about 2310GB (again, with more backed up). So a grand total of 3.1TB. How's that for an eye popper?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Kash, I would say you probably have a nice media center

QUOTE Thanks
trabone

trabone is on a distinguished road

SATA's are soo small. i am tempted to buy a 6th gen on ebay and just glue on a 320Gb SATA. the drive was only 60 dollars. Anyone know of a forum for ipod software mods?
it seems that with a minor tweak, you could partition the drive = voila - 2 x 160 ipods in one.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint47 View Post
if that is your music library, you are the next best thing to a god in my book.

someday I want to have a music library of 100,000+ songs - all tagged w/ album artwork. i figured that will take a good portion of my lifetime. i'm only 18 so i have lots of time!

do you use an iPod? or what do you use?
Yeah, it's just music. It's as tagged as I can get an App like MPFreaker to get it. Most of it has artwork and good chunk of it has lyrics where applicable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash
You think that's a lot, check this out. My TV Show collection on my computer is 777GB alone (note I said on my computer, I have tons more backed up on DVDs). My music collection is 35GB. My movies take up about 2310GB (again, with more backed up). So a grand total of 3.1TB. How's that for an eye popper?
Yeah, my Video is similar. I've got at least 1Tb of Movies and TV shows, probably more. In fact, here are the graphics for them, but they are probably 6 months old at least and need to be updated.

TV Shows

Movies:

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuhnool View Post
Kash, I would say you probably have a nice media center
Indeed, I have my computer hooked up to my TV. Windows 7 Media Center looks fantastic, especially when browsing my movies, what with all the pretty covers and tons of meta data available.

I just need more space, my TV shows hard drive is almost full, it was down to 60GB out of 1TB before I backed up some shows onto DVD to make some room. The second I can afford a 1.5 or 2GB drive I'm gonna swap it out. My ideal plan is to build an 8TB NAS and throw everything onto there. Can't wait till that day

baggss, I have to admit, your music collection is awe inspiring. I have 5400 songs and already think that's quite a lot, I can't even begin to imagine what a 120,000 song collection looks like

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Apple uses 1.8" drives in the iPod Classic. I don't believe there is a 320GB 1.8" drive yet, but I might be mistaken.

EDIT: Indeed, I am mistaken:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/05/t...est-1-8-incher

Welp, if you aren't afraid of invalidating your warranty, you could always buy an iPod Classic, crack the case and swap one of these babies in.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Saint47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Apple uses 1.8" drives in the iPod Classic. I don't believe there is a 320GB 1.8" drive yet, but I might be mistaken.

EDIT: Indeed, I am mistaken:

Toshiba's 320GB hard disk is world's largest 1.8-incher -- Engadget

Welp, if you aren't afraid of invalidating your warranty, you could always buy an iPod Classic, crack the case and swap one of these babies in.
is that really do-able?
and
how difficult would that be?
and how long does the warranty last for?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint47 View Post
is that really do-able?
Sure, take a look at ifixit.com for disassembly instructions and tools.

Quote:
and
how difficult would that be?
Depends on your skill level and how handy you are.

Quote:
and how long does the warranty last for?
The standard warranty is one year.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPod Touch and bluetooth | Question about ipod Touch 2G distorted sound and Apple's Limited Warranty »