New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Formatting iPod Mini to Windows for data storage

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mangoSharingan

Hi, I have a 2G iPod Mini 4GB which was already formatted for Macs when I got it from the Apple Regent St store, I think....Well, it doesn't say anything about it being formatted for Windows in 'About' and when I plug it to my PC (with iPod software already installed), it says it needs to be formatted.

Anyways, I was wondering whether formatting to Windows will still allow me to copy songs to it with my iBook and also use it as a USB storage device on BOTH my Windows PC and my iBook? I have used it a few times to temporarily back up a few files before I formatted my iBook and that was fine. However, I do regularly transfer a lot of files between my iBook and Windows PC back and forth using a crossover cable and I was wondering if I formatted it in Windows, I could just use my iPod Mini to do that instead since it's less fussy? It would also be useful for when I need to transfer some files to a friend's Windows PC so I don't have to use DVD-RWs for it. And will it work the other way round, like transferring files from my iBook back to the Windows PC?

Also, since I will be losing all my songs on my iPod, which are NOT on my iBook anymore (needed to free up space and I assumed it was pretty safe on my iPod Mini anyways ), can someone recommended me a free program which will allow me to extract the songs from my iPod back onto iBook, so that once I formatted the iPod Mini to Windows, I can then transfer it back from my iBook to it, providing a Windows-formatted iPod will actually work on my iBook? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

senuti is a good ipod to itunes app, as far as formatting, it has to be fat32 for both to be able to read & write to it.
QUOTE Thanks
mangoSharingan

Do you mean the hard drive which I have Windows installed on has to be in FAT32 mode or the iPod has to be formatted in FAT32 mode? Hopefully not the hard drive because I only formatted it in NTFS like a few weeks ago and it took me ages to configure/install everything back....
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoSharingan
Do you mean the hard drive which I have Windows installed on has to be in FAT32 mode or the iPod has to be formatted in FAT32 mode? Hopefully not the hard drive because I only formatted it in NTFS like a few weeks ago and it took me ages to configure/install everything back....
The iPod would have to be formatted FAT 32. Then the Mac and the PC could both write to and read from it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

yes, the mac can read from the ipod if its formatted as NTFS, but not write to it, while the windows box could both read & write, but to read & write on both machines, it needs to be formatted as fat32.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

There's no need to go into talk of FAT/NTFS/FAT32, etc.-- this discussion is more complicated than it needs to be.

Simple solution: download the iPod Updater for Windows from Apple's web site, run it on your Windows machine. It will format the iPod to the correct cross-platform format and you'll be able to read it on both Windows and Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribiner23
There's no need to go into talk of FAT/NTFS/FAT32, etc.-- this discussion is more complicated than it needs to be.

Simple solution: download the iPod Updater for Windows from Apple's web site, run it on your Windows machine. It will format the iPod to the correct cross-platform format and you'll be able to read it on both Windows and Mac.
Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but I am wondering if all I have to do is download the updated on the windows PC, then plug in my mac formatted iPod in? Won't mess anything up? Is it really that easy? I can then drop word, excel, etc...documents onto my iPod from my TiBook and then plug into a PC and open them to print them up?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

It will wipe out everything that is currently on your iPod when it formats it for Windows

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

Hmm, that's not exactly what I want. Guess I ought to buy a memory stick for that sort of thing then?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

http://www.buy.com/cat/usb_flash_drives/16073.html

Much smaller, cheaper and don't run on batteries

QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

Much thanks to you sir. I've never used one before, but they look pretty painless to use..are they compliant between both macs and pc's?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Yep just plug it into the usb port

QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

my 2g mini is formatted for MAC, but i hook it directly to my windows laptop and i never reformat it when i have to use it for data storage. If you want to optimize space then the FAT32 Formatt is needed. But just for quick file xfers and backups i need.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Just a quick question, I have a 20gb 4th Gen iPod photo, when i first got it, I used it on my windows PC, it formatted it to fat32, whatever, it worked fine.. When I plugged it into my powerbook, it asked to be formatted again, what's up?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Hmmm, that shouldn't happen. Does it work on the Mac side or does it just ask to reformat and then do nothing? Does it show up on the desktop at all?

If it doesn't work at all on the Mac, I'd put it back on the PC and open the last updater and do a RESTORE. This will wipe all of the data and put the iPod back in new condition. Then try plugging it into your Mac and see what happens.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ipod isn't catogorizing songs and vids? | ipod updater »