New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - Headphone recommendations

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OnlyTimeWillTel

OnlyTimeWillTel can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: see sig...

Not for me though, I'm in love with my Radius Atomic Bass earbuds.

Actually I need recommendations for my 5 year. He is hard of hearing like I've been since childhood, and when he listens to music in the car, he has to keep adjusting his hearing aids, which bugs the crap out of him. So my exwife suggested we find him an MP3 player for his own music. I happen to have an extra iPod sitting here that I don't really use, a 1gb 2nd gen Shuffle (I've got a 20gb 3rd gen iPod...the shuffle is only good for shop use for me lol) that I figured I would load up and give him.

I just don't know what headphones would be good for him. No earbuds, I know that much. And I'd rather avoid cheapo dollar store products...and WalMarx...er...Wal-Mart...if possible. Any recommendations that are decent for a kid?

eMac 1.5ghz, 256mb ram, 40gb hdd, Sony cd burner
2g iPod Shuffle 1gb, 2g iPod Touch 16gb

<Rep is overrated>
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

I have some Koss noise cancelling headphones, I think they were around the $20. I've seen some low cost Sony (over-ear) headphones at Best Buy as well. The Koss phones work well for me, they produce a decent amount of bass, sound quality is very good. I would recommend them, but if you can pick up some Sony headphones those would be better. Hopefully you can find some that aren't too costly.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I would not recommend noise cancelling/blocking earphones for a 5 yr old unless you're prepared to treat him/her as deaf when wearing them. You just never know when an emergency will arise that you need the child to hear you immediately without being in range of touch or you're not within their range of vision.

If you don't want earbuds, I'd suggest over the ear headphones. It could be very tough finding a pair of these that will fit on a 5 yr old's head.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I would not recommend noise cancelling/blocking earphones for a 5 yr old unless you're prepared to treat him/her as deaf when wearing them.
thanks bobtomay, I forgot all about over-ear phones, as well as why it wouldn't be the best idea for noise cancelling phones for a five year old.

Sorry!

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

For my daughters Nintendo DS we got some over the ear Sony headphones like these:

Sony MDR Q22LP - Find lowest price on Sony MDR-Q22LP Consumer Headphones at Shopping.com

Perfect for her small ears and comfortable too.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
OnlyTimeWillTel

OnlyTimeWillTel can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: see sig...

Thanks for the recommendations.

eMac 1.5ghz, 256mb ram, 40gb hdd, Sony cd burner
2g iPod Shuffle 1gb, 2g iPod Touch 16gb

<Rep is overrated>
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Digital Copy DVD's | 5th gen Nano battery life »