New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

What is the difference between the 2nd generation Touch and the 3rd generation Touch?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

plmiller0905

plmiller0905 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4GHz, 160GB, 2GB,SD / Iphone 3Gs 16GB

I am looking to buy a 8GB Apple Touch tomorrow. However, I was wondering if someone could please tell me what the differences are between the 2nd generation Touch and the 3rd generation Touch.

If I decided to get a 2nd generation Touch I was going to order a refurbished model from Apple for $149. I know that the 3rd generation cost about $199. So other than the price, what's the other differences?

Thanks

Please give me more APPLES!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Apple - What is iPod touch? - A great pocket computer.
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

The new iPod Touches have updated hardware (RAM and micro processors)

All the new iPods have iPhone software 3.0 also.

They lowered the price 30 dollars.

I didn't realize they updated the hardware. =D
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Not true, the new iPod touches also got the new 3GS hardware, so they really are a third generation.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
plmiller0905

plmiller0905 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4GHz, 160GB, 2GB,SD / Iphone 3Gs 16GB

Thanks for all the help.

I checked the Apple website and everything seems the same when comparing the 2nd Gen. Touch with the 3rd Gen Touch. The only difference I noticed is with the 16GB and the 32GB Touch because they both come with the headphones that includes a mic.

But other than that...I think the 8GB's are basically the same.

Please give me more APPLES!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Humm didn't they make the back more rounded? Plus it has speakers now, so you can hear it without headphones.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Humm didn't they make the back more rounded? Plus it has speakers now, so you can hear it without headphones.
They did that with the second gen. First gen didn't have speakers for audio. The second gen they put a better speaker in so you could play media without headphones. The major update to the 3rd gen touch is the upped cpu and gpu support, that's about it. The 32 and 64gb are the only models to get the upgraded specs. The 8gb is still the same as the 2nd gen, nothing has changed except for the sku. So if you want the extra processing power and the open gl, then get the 32 or 64 gig.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« LCD+Screen Broken iPod- Any recommended kits for fix | Audio only coming out of one earphone »