New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod Touch - iPod Touch Wireless

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

billwill

billwill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 8 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi/4G iPad, 32GB iPhone 5

My daughter wants an iPod Touch for her birthday. She tells me she can send emails and access Internet sites with it using its Wi-Fi capability, for NO CHARGE or monthly fee. Is that correct? I'm already paying out the wazoo for our cable, HD, phones, cells and Internet connection. IF she can do this for no fee, I'll bite and get it for her.

I know cell phones that have Internet access and email capability have to pay a data fee every month. I don't want to do that. Thanks in advance for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The iPod Touch uses the resources of the network it's connected to at the time. So, if you have a wireless network in your house, it will use that connection much like any other machine in the house.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
billwill

Thank you. So she could also use it at free Wi-Fi sites like Panera Bread, other places with a Wi-Fi system?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

That is correct

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
billwill

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your help.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. It uses a wireless connection much like a notebook does.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Too slow van!!

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
CanuckBoater

CanuckBoater will become famous soon enough

How 'fast' is the Touch in Canada?

Is Wifi a faster connection than our carrier (Rogers)?

Friends who have purchased the Iphone are disappointed by how slow it is

(Note - I was in US last week, and needed a tel. # for a cab after kayaking. The Iphone connection from the guy who assisted me was lightning speed compared to Canada).

But I digress - if Rogers is so slow, maybe I should just get Touch with Wifi for internet access?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

The Wifi speed is independent of cell carriers. The Wifi speed is dependent on the speed of the network connection you have established.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
CanuckBoater

CanuckBoater will become famous soon enough

Thanks.

Makes sense re: connection speed.

I suspect Wifi is way faster than phone carrier (Rogers, in our case).
QUOTE Thanks
drummerkid1993

drummerkid1993 is an unknown at this point

Connecting to your home (or any other) wif-fi network is generally faster than 3G.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What FM transmitter is best | Songs cut short on iPod »