New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod Touch - Right earbud louder than left?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ashkonee01

ashkonee01 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 20in 2gb Ram.Macbook Pro 15in 2GB RAM

So about 6 months ago, I bought an iPod Touch 2g 16GB. It worked fine and i didnt really listen to much music through ear phones until now because I'm travelling more for sports. My left earbud seems to be really soft when i play a song and my right really loud. I can still hear my left but their is a huge difference.

I had an iPod Video before and It seemed fine before. I've tried 3 different pairs of earphones and tried my brother's new ipod nano he got. Even though the right one is louder on his too, it seems to be almost an equal balance. Is something wrong or is it normal?

Also my battery seems to run out really fast. (1-3 hours when playing games when it says its supposed to be 5-6)

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Put the left earbud in your right ear and right earbud in left ear and see if the difference is consistent. Perhaps your hearing is off. I have some tone loss myself in one ear, though I'm not conscious of it unless I'm talking on a handset and shift sides.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
ashkonee01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Put the left earbud in your right ear and right earbud in left ear and see if the difference is consistent. Perhaps your hearing is off. I have some tone loss myself in one ear, though I'm not conscious of it unless I'm talking on a handset and shift sides.
I tried that and it's pretty much the same. So I don't think its a hearing thing. I hope.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkonee01 View Post
I tried that and it's pretty much the same. So I don't think its a hearing thing. I hope.
What do you mean by "pretty much the same"? If swapping sides still results in greater volume in your right ear, then it is your hearing.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Your headphones could be messing up. If you swap sides like lifeisabeach suggested and can still hear the difference then contact Apple. They will send you a replacement headset free of charge.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
ashkonee01

Ok, so i just got 2 new headphones from SkullCandy. When i plug them into my computer and listen to a song, i can easily tell that the music is evenly distributed between both sides. When I plug it into my iPod its mostly right and not left. Should I send it in? Is it covered by warranty?
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkonee01 View Post
Should I send it in? Is it covered by warranty?
Well you said you purchased it six months ago. So yes it is still under warranty.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Just went thru the same thing - left earbud volume quite reduced from the right. I thought I had an ear infection until I accidentally put them in the wrong ear after a couple of weeks of living with it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
victorandolph

victorandolph is on a distinguished road

i have the same problem, but i think my left side is louder. i have the beats earphones.
QUOTE Thanks
sanjiv

sanjiv is on a distinguished road

I got my iTouch in the Fall of 2009. It's a year later, and just recently I noticed that the sound out of the left bud was much, much softer than the right bud. It's not an issue with the headphones. Is there any way to tweak the sound balance on the iTouch? I couldn't find anything through the iTouch interface, nor iTunes. Could the problem really not have been resolved by now? My iTouch software is also up to date.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjiv View Post
I got my iTouch in the Fall of 2009. It's a year later, and just recently I noticed that the sound out of the left bud was much, much softer than the right bud. It's not an issue with the headphones. Is there any way to tweak the sound balance on the iTouch? I couldn't find anything through the iTouch interface, nor iTunes. Could the problem really not have been resolved by now? My iTouch software is also up to date.
Holy necrothread!

Have you tried a different set of earbuds?

Mine had that issue with its original headphones. I've used countless other brands (JVC Gumi, Philips, Sony, and then back to Philips), and noticed that third-party isn't affected as much as Apple's standard "sound-leakers".

Since you've tried that…

I would say it could very likely be the audio jack on the device. I've carefully cleaned mine out on occasion and noticed the difference subsidize.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.1
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.1
 Mac mini Server m10 - OS X 10.9.3
 MacBook Uni l09 - OS X 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Good iPod for working out? | Ipod Touch 1rstgen help »