New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - My iPod is sad and so am I.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

comraderaikov

comraderaikov is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: PowerMac G3(Beige)

I got me a new iPod Nano last Friday and now it won't charge or be recognized in iTunes. Apple wants $30 just to ship it in to them. Anyone know if I can just mail it through the post office?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

They don't like you to do that, but it can be done. I fought with them on the phone and eventually had to be transferred to a supervisor, who finally admitted that I could mail the device back in my own packaging, using the shipping service of my choice.

Call them back and get an RMA and the address for the return. Either that, or just take it to an Apple Store (if there is one nearby - at the time I ran into this, there were none within driving distance).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Mjc.americor

Mjc.americor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz

I don't think that Apple likes it when people do that.
I have sent multiple iPods into Apple (back in the day when they payed for shipping)and it never really seemed like a problem.
Another way to look at it is that $30 is quite a bit cheaper than having to pay for a brand new iPod.

15.4" MacBook Pro Unibody
2.4GHz 4GB Ram and 500GB HD nVidia Geforce 9600
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Apple makes you pay to ship it to them now? I've always got a box sent to me with shipping paid both ways.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjc.americor View Post
I don't think that Apple likes it when people do that.
I have sent multiple iPods into Apple (back in the day when they payed for shipping)and it never really seemed like a problem.
Another way to look at it is that $30 is quite a bit cheaper than having to pay for a brand new iPod.
Well, here's my problem with that - $30 is a lot to charge for shipping of an item that is the size of a deck of cards (or smaller) and weighs just a few ounces. In fact, I would say it's outrageous. The same item can be shipped Priority Mail for less than $5, so charging 6 times that amount is just wrong.

Additionally, we're talking about an in warranty product being serviced for a manufacturer's defect. It's a bit of an imposition to ask me to pay for shipping, but it's a whole 'nother story when they're trying to make a quick buck off of me for what is essentially their responsibility.

So, that's what ticks me off. First they start with "oh, you can have free shipping and service if you just buy Apple Care", then it's "OK, well that will be $30 for shipping". So, basically they're using this as an opportunity for a "hard sell". Not cool, and really bad customer service in my opinion.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
comraderaikov

I think I'm going to call them and see their opinion on it.
Watch, There going to try and sell Apple Care to me.
Apple Care = Epic failure.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by comraderaikov View Post

I think I'm going to call them and see their opinion on it.
Watch, There going to try and sell Apple Care to me.
Apple Care = Epic failure.
I would just call them, refuse the Apple Care and tell them that you'd like to ship it back on your own. Get a mailing address and an RMA. If the rep refuses, just escalate to a supervisor. Once I had the supervisor, it wasn't a problem - although they did warn me that they wouldn't be responsible for a loss in the mail. Just make sure you use Delivery Confirmation of some sort and you'll be fine. It shouldn't cost you any more than $10.

QUOTE Thanks
comraderaikov

Thanks. I'll give it a try after work.
QUOTE Thanks
comraderaikov

Nope.
Apple being retarded wants $30 for a box and packaging materials.
The dude told me I won't be able to ship it in because "It will not have the information it needs". Then he told me "The $30 is because we're paying FedEx and it ships overnight". I called FedEx just for fun and the told me for an item of that weight to go overnight to the repair center would be $8. Apple is make quite some money of this.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Did you speak with a supervisor? That's the key. You need to be assertive, but polite and tell them clearly "I want to ship this using my own means - you can not tell me that I must use your shipping service just to get it to the depot, that's unacceptable". As far as not having the information, that is the reason you're asking for an RMA.

The key is not to back down.

QUOTE Thanks
comraderaikov

I went to the Apple Store Saturday and they said the iPod was too damaged and the warranty was void. Eh. I think I'm going to buy a Zune next time.
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Damaged physically or internally? If it's too physically damaged I think you'll be out of luck no matter what company you get an MP3 player from. Warranties don't usually cover neglect if it's obviously been dropped, dunked, kicked, etc...

Only to play devil's advocate, I use FedEx shipping quite a bit for eBay and $30 seems about right if they overnight you packing materials with return overnight service as well. You've got to remember - that's $15 one-way to send a package overnight.

I just checked online with my FedEx account and these were the rates, using Apple's address at 1 Infinite Loop, and estimating total package weight at 2lbs. More than likely, Standard Overnight is the service they quoted (one way, shown below.)

FedEx First Overnight
8:30 AM Tue Feb 24,2009 $45.50

FedEx Priority Overnight
10:30 AM Tue Feb 24,2009 $18.22

FedEx Standard Overnight
3:00 PM Tue Feb 24,2009 $15.86

FedEx 2Day
4:30 PM Wed Feb 25,2009 $9.58
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« moving music from shuffle to ipod | Real capacity of iPod nano models? »