New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod Touch - A question on warranty and possible replacement

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

onilawliet

onilawliet is on a distinguished road

So I bought an iPod Touch 32GB back in July at a discounted price with my MacBook. Since day 1, the head phone jack was a little buggy. Depending on the position of my headphones within the jack, the sound would be scratchy and far lower quality, so I always had to make sure the headphone were in a distinct position. This never really bothered me though, until yesterday, when suddenly the entire jack was messed up. No matter what headphones I use, nor what position they are in, all I get are scratchy sounds and distorted music.

Understand that I've taken pretty good care of this iPod and it has worked without any real problems for the past 8 months. It's in an inCase slider case, has a screen protector, never been dropped, etc.

With all that said, I have a few questions:

1.) What could explain the headphone jack problem? Both its initial bugginess and its now complete inability to function?

2.) I have an appt at the Genius Bar tomorrow. My iPod is still warranty. Is it likely that they will be able to fix the jack? Or straight up replace it?

3.) If it is replaced, would I receive the credit in store or get a new iPod Touch? The only reason I ask is because they now have newer versions of the Touch that are slimmer and have built in speakers, etc. Ususally whenever Apple puts out a new product, they try very hard to get rid of older iterations of the product (i.e. last summer's macbook ipod deal, which was followed in the fall by newly designed iPods and macbooks). So, would I get the new iPod Touch? Or credit in the store? Or, assuming they still had older Touches, get the same Touch? Honestly, I paid $500 for the first one, and the newer ones of the same memory amount cost $100 less. If they do replace it, I am really hoping they give me the newer one. I'm also totally fine with just getting store credit and buying either a classic or a touch.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

We can not say if they will replace it or repair it since we are not the Apple Store.

Just explain the problem to them and bring a pair of headphones so they can hear it.

If they do replace it they will most likely give you a refurbished one from the back. It is rare if they do give you a brand new model but it has happened before.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
deer dance

deer dance has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Soon to own

They will first attempt to fix it, if the cannot, then they will replace it with a model of the same buffer and generation.
I've never bought an iPod directly from an Apple Store, so store credit is possible.

Proud Python Programmer/HTML Expert
Believer in Mac OS 7
QUOTE Thanks
macoffice4sale

macoffice4sale is on a distinguished road

We are having iPod Nano problems, it randomly locks up or disconnects from iTunes. Bought it in December from Mejier. How do I get it fixed or replaced?
QUOTE Thanks
deer dance

deer dance has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Soon to own

If you have a warranty plan, simply take it to your nearest Mejier and they should take care of the rest.

Mejier... Isn't that only in the Michiana area?

If so, howdy neighbor!

Proud Python Programmer/HTML Expert
Believer in Mac OS 7
QUOTE Thanks
macoffice4sale

macoffice4sale is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deer dance View Post
If you have a warranty plan, simply take it to your nearest Mejier and they should take care of the rest.

Mejier... Isn't that only in the Michiana area?

If so, howdy neighbor!
No, we are in the Kentuckiana area, on the sunny side of Louisville

howdy anyway fellow Hoosier!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« refurbished ipods | Screen Protector!! »