New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - What do I need to buy to make this work?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

morgothaod

morgothaod is on a distinguished road

I have an ipod shuffle:

and a "iTrip Auto Universal Plus" which is a device that allows me to play my ipod through my car:

You see the slot on the device that plugs into my car's cigarette lighter? It is supposed to allow me to charge my ipod. The problem is is that the stupid cord to the left of it, prevents me from plugging my ipod shuffle in. I need some sort of extension cable. But I don't know what its called or where I can buy it. I went to walmart and radio shack but neither of them had the part (or knew what it was called). Can you guys help me?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

That would be a USB cable.

Female that plugs into the shuffle.

And based on the picture of the iTrip, am not really sure what connection that is. However, Griffin does say to use whatever USB charging cable came with your device.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
morgothaod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
That would be a USB cable.

Female that plugs into the shuffle.

And based on the picture of the iTrip, am not really sure what connection that is. However, Griffin does say to use whatever USB charging cable came with your device.
So I need a male to female usb? As for the device that came with my ipod, I don't remember one ever coming with it and if it did then I don't have it.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Since I can't really tell what the iTrip looks like, carry it into Radio Shack with you and make sure the cable fits it. The other end would just be a standard female USB end to fit on the shuffle.

Here's a pic of a male (on the left) and female (on the right).

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

the shuffle doesn't plug directly into a USB port like the other iPod models -- it only does so through it's dock. And the shuffle plugs into its dock through its headphone jack. Sooooo -- you won't be able to listen to and charge the shuffle with this universal adapter. You can do one or the other -- and to charge you'll actually need to plug the shuffle's dock into the USB port of the universal gizmo, and then plug the shuffle into its dock (unless someone makes a special adapter).
QUOTE Thanks
morgothaod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Elmis View Post
the shuffle doesn't plug directly into a USB port like the other iPod models -- it only does so through it's dock. And the shuffle plugs into its dock through its headphone jack. Sooooo -- you won't be able to listen to and charge the shuffle with this universal adapter. You can do one or the other -- and to charge you'll actually need to plug the shuffle's dock into the USB port of the universal gizmo, and then plug the shuffle into its dock (unless someone makes a special adapter).
Aww man, that really sucks! Because the car really drains my ipod. Normally I can listen to my ipod for 10 hours or so on a charge but when it plays through the car, the battery dies after 30 minutes.
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

How to do you listen to it in the car? Shouldn't be any significant difference in battery life, unless in the car the iPod is being used to power an FM transmitter or something.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Itunes Recognition Problem | best iHome? »