Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

iPod touch white screen?
    I have read things about people having problems with their iPod touches freezing, and having a white screen pop up.

I have gotten the white screen 3 times now, but it doesn't totally freeze. It only happens when I'm trying to turn off my iPod. I'll hold the botton down, slide it over to shut it off, and it acts like it's shut off just fine. Then a few seconds later I get the white screen. Then I just turn it on, and shut it back off again and it's fine.

Do you think this is something to worry about? It doesn't really bother me, but if it's gonna lead to other problems I'm gonna go exchange it.

Also- if I ordered it online would they let me exchange it in-store if I had to?

OK so I exchanged it on Monday.
    Now, on Wednesday, the new one is starting to do the same thing.

Any ideas?

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    I assume this is a 2G iPod Touch? I've yet to see this behavior, but then, I rarely turn mine completely off. Instead, I just hit the top button to blank the screen and let the power management do its thing. Are you running 2.2 on it?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    I assume this is a 2G iPod Touch? I've yet to see this behavior, but then, I rarely turn mine completely off. Instead, I just hit the top button to blank the screen and let the power management do its thing. Are you running 2.2 on it?

Yeah, it's the 2G and I'm running 2.2.
    When I got the first one, I had to do a free software update in iTunes to get 2.2. With the second one I got, it was already on there. So I know the second one is a newer one.

I'm just really confused as to why I've had this problem with two in a row. One was ordered from online, and the other I got from the Apple store. So it's not like I just got a couple from one bad batch, ya know?

You don't think a certain app could be causing it do you?

Specs:
    iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
    I have just got one, had it for 4 days and all is great, no problems, could it be an "App" that you have put on causing the problem?

Specs:
    2.5 GHz 15" MacBook Pro
    i have the white screen problem on mine, but it is frozen... i have the 32 GB touch. i posted in another thread but this seems more relevant. anyone know how to get this problem taken care of?

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUGeog View Post
    i have the white screen problem on mine, but it is frozen... i have the 32 GB touch. i posted in another thread but this seems more relevant. anyone know how to get this problem taken care of?
    Interesting. I haven't had this problem yet - and in fact, what problems I did have were resolved by the 2.2 firmware (mostly related to volume settings and wi-fi issues with WPA encryption). It's possible that you just have a defective unit.

Does the problem occur after doing a restore and without any third party apps installed?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Specs:
    2.5 GHz 15" MacBook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Interesting. I haven't had this problem yet - and in fact, what problems I did have were resolved by the 2.2 firmware (mostly related to volume settings and wi-fi issues with WPA encryption). It's possible that you just have a defective unit.

Does the problem occur after doing a restore and without any third party apps installed?
    i haven't done a restore, and i do have some apps on there. i'm using the 2.2 firmware

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUGeog View Post
    i haven't done a restore, and i do have some apps on there. i'm using the 2.2 firmware
    I would do a restore, but don't install any 3rd party apps. Test for a couple of days and see if you run into it again. If you do, it's likely you have a defective unit.

Specs:
    2.5 GHz 15" MacBook Pro
    problem reslved, for now. i let the battery die and when i started recharging it the touch worked just fine.

i have gotton the same problem also but i did a sys. restore or restore from backup. and it worked for now
    this is also my second one

Talking the same apps
    Quote Originally Posted by deathtolife04 View Post
    Yeah, it's the 2G and I'm running 2.2.
    When I got the first one, I had to do a free software update in iTunes to get 2.2. With the second one I got, it was already on there. So I know the second one is a newer one.

I'm just really confused as to why I've had this problem with two in a row. One was ordered from online, and the other I got from the Apple store. So it's not like I just got a couple from one bad batch, ya know?

You don't think a certain app could be causing it do you?
    well lets see what apps all of us have in common im going to start another thread and lets start listing the apps we have in common

Quote Originally Posted by lui22 View Post
    well lets see what apps all of us have in common im going to start another thread and lets start listing the apps we have in common

Here's a list of the apps I have right now:

AIM
    AP Mobile News
    Bible
    BlocksClassic Lite
    Brain Toot (free version)
    Brain Tuner
    Crash Bandicoot Nitro Cart
    Facebook
    Files Lite
    Google Earth
    Google Mobile App
    Graphic Calculator
    HiCalc Lite
    i.TV
    Jelly Car
    Labrynth Lite Edition
    Line Rider iRide
    Mandelbrot
    Myspace Mobile
    NYTimes
    Palringo
    Quick Graph
    Remote
    Rock 'n' Roll Lite
    Shakespeare
    The Snow Report
    Spore Origins
    Tap Tap Revenge
    Topple
    Urbanspoon
    US National Debt
    The Weather Channel
    WebMD Mobile
    Wiki Tap
    WordPress

And out of those, here is a list of apps I'm PRETTY sure I didn't have when I first started having the white screen problem:

BlocksClassic Lite
    Jelly Car
    Labrynth Lite Edition
    Line Rider iRide
    Mandelbrot
    Rock 'n' Roll Lite
    The Weather Channel
    WebMD Mobile

Not to highjack, but since this was the top Google search for "white screen iPod touch 2g" I just thought I'd note that some of the 2G Touch units are having a hardware problem causing permanent white screen when on, even though they are NOT frozen.

I am in the process of returning mine to Apple and found others with similar problems when I looked. None of the normal resets, etc did anything, including a full reset to factory. Interestingly, even with the screen white the input part of the touch screen works. If I can guess which part of the page I am on I can turn up the speaker and hear it responding. iTunes also recognizes it and can tell me when it is charging, change what is installed on it, etc.

If someone is finding this from Google and is having a similar issue, make sure to call Apple care if resets and/or a backup/restore cycle doesn't do the job. Apple Care telephone and Genius bar folks both were unsurprised by the issue, although none went so far as to say it was a common problem.

Mine was a <2 month old 8GB iPod Touch 2G, not roughly treated and using a hard case and screen protector. Don't think apps were the cause as nothing changes when I reverted it to factory settings, reset, etc.

W

I guess I can be added to the list of people with this problem. I was sitting on a weight machine at the gym when I dropped it. It fell perhaps two feet onto a rubber coated floor. It had a hard case surrounding it. This seemed to be a pretty casual fall to me. Nevertheless, it would only display a white screen. When I returned home I connected it to my MacBook and did a complete restore. It failed to make a difference. I guess I will be calling Apple in the morning to see what they want to do about it. This iPod Touch (32 gig) is less than two months old and has worked flawlessly until this evening. I have to say that I am more than a little disappointed with the iPod's resistance to a very small drop. I am sure that Apple will take care of it but I was hoping for a little more durability than this. I never had a hardware failure like this with my previous PDA type devices.

Lifelong MS/PC user since 1984
    Purchased first MacBook 11/17/2008
    2.4gHz 2gRAM 250gb
    I have burned the ships...there will be no return

Thread Information