New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod Touch - iPod touch white screen?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

deathtolife04

deathtolife04 is an unknown at this point

I have read things about people having problems with their iPod touches freezing, and having a white screen pop up.

I have gotten the white screen 3 times now, but it doesn't totally freeze. It only happens when I'm trying to turn off my iPod. I'll hold the botton down, slide it over to shut it off, and it acts like it's shut off just fine. Then a few seconds later I get the white screen. Then I just turn it on, and shut it back off again and it's fine.

Do you think this is something to worry about? It doesn't really bother me, but if it's gonna lead to other problems I'm gonna go exchange it.

Also- if I ordered it online would they let me exchange it in-store if I had to?
QUOTE Thanks
deathtolife04

OK so I exchanged it on Monday.
Now, on Wednesday, the new one is starting to do the same thing.

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I assume this is a 2G iPod Touch? I've yet to see this behavior, but then, I rarely turn mine completely off. Instead, I just hit the top button to blank the screen and let the power management do its thing. Are you running 2.2 on it?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
deathtolife04

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I assume this is a 2G iPod Touch? I've yet to see this behavior, but then, I rarely turn mine completely off. Instead, I just hit the top button to blank the screen and let the power management do its thing. Are you running 2.2 on it?

Yeah, it's the 2G and I'm running 2.2.
When I got the first one, I had to do a free software update in iTunes to get 2.2. With the second one I got, it was already on there. So I know the second one is a newer one.

I'm just really confused as to why I've had this problem with two in a row. One was ordered from online, and the other I got from the Apple store. So it's not like I just got a couple from one bad batch, ya know?

You don't think a certain app could be causing it do you?
QUOTE Thanks
chrisiw

chrisiw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.

I have just got one, had it for 4 days and all is great, no problems, could it be an "App" that you have put on causing the problem?
QUOTE Thanks
ASUGeog

ASUGeog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5 GHz 15" MacBook Pro

i have the white screen problem on mine, but it is frozen... i have the 32 GB touch. i posted in another thread but this seems more relevant. anyone know how to get this problem taken care of?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUGeog View Post
i have the white screen problem on mine, but it is frozen... i have the 32 GB touch. i posted in another thread but this seems more relevant. anyone know how to get this problem taken care of?
Interesting. I haven't had this problem yet - and in fact, what problems I did have were resolved by the 2.2 firmware (mostly related to volume settings and wi-fi issues with WPA encryption). It's possible that you just have a defective unit.

Does the problem occur after doing a restore and without any third party apps installed?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
ASUGeog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Interesting. I haven't had this problem yet - and in fact, what problems I did have were resolved by the 2.2 firmware (mostly related to volume settings and wi-fi issues with WPA encryption). It's possible that you just have a defective unit.

Does the problem occur after doing a restore and without any third party apps installed?
i haven't done a restore, and i do have some apps on there. i'm using the 2.2 firmware
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUGeog View Post
i haven't done a restore, and i do have some apps on there. i'm using the 2.2 firmware
I would do a restore, but don't install any 3rd party apps. Test for a couple of days and see if you run into it again. If you do, it's likely you have a defective unit.

QUOTE Thanks
ASUGeog

problem reslved, for now. i let the battery die and when i started recharging it the touch worked just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
lui22

lui22 is on a distinguished road

i have gotton the same problem also but i did a sys. restore or restore from backup. and it worked for now
this is also my second one
QUOTE Thanks
lui22

lui22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtolife04 View Post
Yeah, it's the 2G and I'm running 2.2.
When I got the first one, I had to do a free software update in iTunes to get 2.2. With the second one I got, it was already on there. So I know the second one is a newer one.

I'm just really confused as to why I've had this problem with two in a row. One was ordered from online, and the other I got from the Apple store. So it's not like I just got a couple from one bad batch, ya know?

You don't think a certain app could be causing it do you?
well lets see what apps all of us have in common im going to start another thread and lets start listing the apps we have in common
QUOTE Thanks
deathtolife04

Quote:
Originally Posted by lui22 View Post
well lets see what apps all of us have in common im going to start another thread and lets start listing the apps we have in common

Here's a list of the apps I have right now:

AIM
AP Mobile News
Bible
BlocksClassic Lite
Brain Toot (free version)
Brain Tuner
Crash Bandicoot Nitro Cart
Facebook
Files Lite
Google Earth
Google Mobile App
Graphic Calculator
HiCalc Lite
i.TV
Jelly Car
Labrynth Lite Edition
Line Rider iRide
Mandelbrot
Myspace Mobile
NYTimes
Palringo
Quick Graph
Remote
Rock 'n' Roll Lite
Shakespeare
The Snow Report
Spore Origins
Tap Tap Revenge
Topple
Urbanspoon
US National Debt
The Weather Channel
WebMD Mobile
Wiki Tap
WordPress

And out of those, here is a list of apps I'm PRETTY sure I didn't have when I first started having the white screen problem:

BlocksClassic Lite
Jelly Car
Labrynth Lite Edition
Line Rider iRide
Mandelbrot
Rock 'n' Roll Lite
The Weather Channel
WebMD Mobile
QUOTE Thanks
wilsonstark

wilsonstark is on a distinguished road

Not to highjack, but since this was the top Google search for "white screen iPod touch 2g" I just thought I'd note that some of the 2G Touch units are having a hardware problem causing permanent white screen when on, even though they are NOT frozen.

I am in the process of returning mine to Apple and found others with similar problems when I looked. None of the normal resets, etc did anything, including a full reset to factory. Interestingly, even with the screen white the input part of the touch screen works. If I can guess which part of the page I am on I can turn up the speaker and hear it responding. iTunes also recognizes it and can tell me when it is charging, change what is installed on it, etc.

If someone is finding this from Google and is having a similar issue, make sure to call Apple care if resets and/or a backup/restore cycle doesn't do the job. Apple Care telephone and Genius bar folks both were unsurprised by the issue, although none went so far as to say it was a common problem.

Mine was a <2 month old 8GB iPod Touch 2G, not roughly treated and using a hard case and screen protector. Don't think apps were the cause as nothing changes when I reverted it to factory settings, reset, etc.

W
QUOTE Thanks
trapeze

trapeze is on a distinguished road

I guess I can be added to the list of people with this problem. I was sitting on a weight machine at the gym when I dropped it. It fell perhaps two feet onto a rubber coated floor. It had a hard case surrounding it. This seemed to be a pretty casual fall to me. Nevertheless, it would only display a white screen. When I returned home I connected it to my MacBook and did a complete restore. It failed to make a difference. I guess I will be calling Apple in the morning to see what they want to do about it. This iPod Touch (32 gig) is less than two months old and has worked flawlessly until this evening. I have to say that I am more than a little disappointed with the iPod's resistance to a very small drop. I am sure that Apple will take care of it but I was hoping for a little more durability than this. I never had a hardware failure like this with my previous PDA type devices.

Lifelong MS/PC user since 1984
Purchased first MacBook 11/17/2008
2.4gHz 2gRAM 250gb
I have burned the ships...there will be no return
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Weird syncing thing... | Copying tracks from iPod to iMac »