New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - Ipod classic down 9gb out of the box?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HyperM3

HyperM3 is on a distinguished road

So I recently broke down and bought my first ipod. Got the 120gb classic and I like it a lot. My main concern is that there is a lot of missing room out of the box.

Why do I only have 111gb capacity? What is taking up the other 9gb before I put anything on it?
QUOTE Thanks
morty192

morty192 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.16ghz White

this is the formatted space (coud be wrong) that holds the iPod OS and the like.
QUOTE Thanks
HyperM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty192 View Post
this is the formatted space (coud be wrong) that holds the iPod OS and the like.
If thats the case, does that mean if I bought the 16gb ipod then I would have only half the amount of space left? Or no space with the 8gb ipod?

Doesnt make sense to me.
QUOTE Thanks
comraderaikov

comraderaikov is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: PowerMac G3(Beige)

wow. I don't think the iPod OS takes up that much space (or at least it shouldn't). I'd recommend taking it to a geek bar and asking someone about it.
On my iPod touch it only takes up about 50MBs, I don't really think it would take 8 or so gigs though. Maybe it came with some apps or something? You might want to check.
QUOTE Thanks
wytwolf

wytwolf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD

It's the same reason why my 320GB macbok drive is really only 293GB of useable space. People live in a decimal world, but computers live in a binary world. So 120GB is 1,073,741,824 x 120 not 1,000,000,000 x 120. This result in only about 93% of the size on the box for useable space. A 120 GB ipod has about 111.7GB space for your mp3's.

QUOTE Thanks
HyperM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytwolf View Post
It's the same reason why my 320GB macbok drive is really only 293GB of useable space. People live in a decimal world, but computers live in a binary world. So 120GB is 1,073,741,824 x 120 not 1,000,000,000 x 120. This result in only about 93% of the size on the box for useable space. A 120 GB ipod has about 111.7GB space for your mp3's.

Interesting. Still confused but interesting.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

It's actually quite simple. Operating systems see hard drive space in base 2, which means a single gigabyte is 1024MB. Hard drive manufacturers, on the other hand, use base 10, which means a single gigabyte is 1000MB. So as you can see, there is a 24MB "loss" for every gigabyte between what a hard drive manufacturer claims and what is actually seen by the operating system.

That's a highly simplified way of putting it, but that's roughly the gist of it.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
HyperM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
It's actually quite simple. Operating systems see hard drive space in base 2, which means a single gigabyte is 1024MB. Hard drive manufacturers, on the other hand, use base 10, which means a single gigabyte is 1000MB. So as you can see, there is a 24MB "loss" for every gigabyte between what a hard drive manufacturer claims and what is actually seen by the operating system.

That's a highly simplified way of putting it, but that's roughly the gist of it.
OK, I think I get it now. So then they shouldnt really call it a 120gb ipod, rather it should be a 111gb(or 110gb) to be on the safeside. Kinda more like overmarketing to me.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

More like false advertising, and you're not the first one to say anything about it. I know for a fact that Western Digital got sued, not sure what happened or what other companies have been sued.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
OK, I think I get it now. So then they shouldnt really call it a 120gb ipod, rather it should be a 111gb(or 110gb) to be on the safeside. Kinda more like overmarketing to me.
Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq, Apple and every other brand I could name here all would call it a 120GB Drive. Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor, Fujitsu, Hitachi also would call it a 120GB drive. Apple is using the same Specs as everyone else.

Kash, WD like everyone else is still using 120GB.

WD Scorpio Black 120 GB SATA Hard Drive ( WD1200BJKT )
QUOTE Thanks
HyperM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq, Apple and every other brand I could name here all would call it a 120GB Drive. Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor, Fujitsu, Hitachi also would call it a 120GB drive. Apple is using the same Specs as everyone else.
Kinda like ford with their 5.0 liter engine when it was actually a 4.6. I understand, I just feel jipped.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Kinda like ford with their 5.0 liter engine when it was actually a 4.6. I understand, I just feel jipped.

I understand where you are coming from and I feel the same way, but just wanted to show it was not Apples fault, but the whole industry.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

16gig iPod Touch has about 14Gb free for your information.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Clicking sound? | Backlight issues with 16GB Ipod touch »