New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Buying an ipod- A few questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

David147

David147 is on a distinguished road

I want to buy an ipod mini (179.99) and don't know too much about them so have a few questions from a novice (I'm only 14 ).

1) How do you get the songs actually onto the Ipod? Is their some kind of cable and does this comes with the ipod that attatches it to you computer enabling you to move the songs from itunes into your ipod?

2) My mac is OSX version 10.3.1 so will it work Ok with my computer?

3) Do Ipods work with both Mac and PC or do you have to get it formated for what you want?

4) I think i remember hearing a while back that the batteries don't last very long and are expensive to replace, is this still the case?

Any help is much appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
edgefusion

edgefusion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram

1) All the cables you need come with the iPod.

2) Yes.

3) Yes.

4) I think it's 80 to replace the battery, not sure though. Not had any problems with my iPod, but it's still new so I wouldn't know.

QUOTE Thanks
David147

David147 is on a distinguished road

Thanks. 80 sounds like loads just to replace a battery!

Just out of interest, where on the back of my imac would I plug in the ipod?
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

The battery is supposed to be good for about two to three years of "average" use. It can be replaced by the user for much less than Apple's service costs. This site gives the info: http://www.ipodbattery.com. Cost of a new mini battery is listed at $29 USD. They also have a walk-through for the changeover at: http://www.ipodbattery.com/ipodminiinstall.html. You can also get an external rechargeable battery pack that will extend the playtime and save the internal battery.
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

You can plug the iPod into your mac using the firwewire port (or USB if you want). Firewire is faster though. And Yea, the iPod battery last for 500 cyces. This means you can fully charge, and fully kill ithe battery 500 times before it's permanenaly dead. As the battery is going to die, you will notice shorter battery life per charge.

Good luck with the iPod. It's a great little thing...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Uhg.. No More Music For iPod | Dell not scared of apple dominating the music industry. »