New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - Planned Obseletion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

y0itsj0hn

y0itsj0hn is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP: 2.53GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB DDR3, OS 10.6.8

Yeah so after almost three years this piece of PIE is dead. Doesn't hold a charge for more than a few minutes, and when I connect it to my iMac the computer doesn't recognize it, while the iPod shows the "Do Not Disconnect" screen. I've tried all the resetting, restarting tricks and yatta yatta. I guess she just ran out of life.

(Luckily, I will be replacing her with the new Blackberry later this month when it gets released.. comes standard with 8GB removable storage card )
QUOTE Thanks
y0itsj0hn

lol i just realized the bashing i might be welcoming by choosing the blackburrrry over the iphone but, removable storage, battery and verizon service can't be beat, sorry
QUOTE Thanks
iphone666

iphone666 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0itsj0hn View Post
Yeah so after almost three years this piece of PIE is dead. Doesn't hold a charge for more than a few minutes, and when I connect it to my iMac the computer doesn't recognize it, while the iPod shows the "Do Not Disconnect" screen. I've tried all the resetting, restarting tricks and yatta yatta. I guess she just ran out of life.

(Luckily, I will be replacing her with the new Blackberry later this month when it gets released.. comes standard with 8GB removable storage card )
Atleast you got 3 years out of yours. Mine nearly died after 2 years. My 1G nano also had ~5minutes battery life, scratches everywhere, intermittent computer connectivity, and music playing issues. I guess apple does that on purpose and makes the battery non-removable so they can rob us of our money. I recently replaced it with a touch 8gb 2G and with a (crappy) case, the costs came up to around $275 with taxes. Come on apple. We are almost in a recession and you are forcing us to spend more $$$.

<profane material link removed>

All of my suggestions are provided "as-is". I am not responsible for the outcome.
Please follow me on twitter at: http://www.twitter.com/forumdude1024
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

I think the non-removable battery has more to do with obsession with thinness and sleekness, which is clearly a selling point for these devices.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
y0itsj0hn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
I think the non-removable battery has more to do with obsession with thinness and sleekness, which is clearly a selling point for these devices.

i think it has to do with the fact that apple doesn't want you to have much access to the device and they'd rather try and sell you another one if they could pass off the dead battery as a defective phone not covered under factory warranty. The fact that this is one of the only phones on the market you can't insure kinda helps this point.

Just my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
y0itsj0hn

I have to apologize for saying "you can't insure." I guess I should have been more specific and said "that you can't insure with cellphone insurance of any kind available through Cingular or Apple." Because, you can just, ya know, add the phone to your home owner's insurance, pay an extra fee yearly on your home owner's insurance. That's assuming you a- own a home, b- have home owner's insurance, c- are insured by a company that will agree to cover an electronic device as small as an iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
y0itsj0hn

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone666 View Post
<profane material link removed>

aw man, i wonder what the link was...
QUOTE Thanks
iphone666

it was an apple mashup with lots of cursing

All of my suggestions are provided "as-is". I am not responsible for the outcome.
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0itsj0hn View Post
i think it has to do with the fact that apple doesn't want you to have much access to the device and they'd rather try and sell you another one if they could pass off the dead battery as a defective phone not covered under factory warranty. The fact that this is one of the only phones on the market you can't insure kinda helps this point.

Just my opinion.
I thought this thread was about iPods,not iPhones. Either way, the insurance issue has little to do with passing off a dead battery. The fact this is one of the most expensive phones to make and a bit on the cosmetically delicate side means offering insurance would be a risky business model. Though I've heard Best Buy offers it but I don't know the cost. It's clear to me that user replaceable batteries are not a mainstream concern so I doubt we'll ever see them from Apple.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

You do know Apple will replace the battery for about $50, right? And there's kits for around $15 on eBay if you're feeling adventurous and want to try it yourself...
QUOTE Thanks
iphone666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
You do know Apple will replace the battery for about $50, right? And there's kits for around $15 on eBay if you're feeling adventurous and want to try it yourself...
Really!! Are the kits on ebay easy to install?

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have replaced a few batteries in ipods including the g3 (3rd Generation) and Nano without an issue. Batteries have a life. No battery can last forever. I have used the $15 or around kit Aptmunich is taking about and like I said, no issues. Even my old G3 works like new.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I have replaced a few batteries in ipods including the g3 (3rd Generation) and Nano without an issue. Batteries have a life. No battery can last forever. I have used the $15 or around kit Aptmunich is taking about and like I said, no issues. Even my old G3 works like new.
Yeah, my experiences have been pretty good as well.

I did it with a 3rd gen iPod and first gen iPod mini.

The mini was pretty tricky, but the tools and video instructions in the kit were pretty good. Obviously you risk bricking your iPod, but for the price it was worth it IMO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 5th gen, apple logo frozen, will not restore. | Incase or Griffin Cover For ipod touch »