New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod Touch - Wi-Fi connectivity issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cappie

Cappie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, iPod Touch 2g 16GB

Hello. I just got my iPod Touch 2G yesterday. For the life of me I could not get online with it. It seems to be connected to wi-fi (a checkmark and bars next to the network name in settings, full blue bars in the top left corner) but no app that uses the internet will work. Last night it suddenly started working and worked all day today, then suddenly stopped tonight. It isn't my network as all the computers are online (obviously).

I've scoured google and tried everything I came across with no results. Has anyone else has this problem and if so, how did you fix it?
QUOTE Thanks
brianwmay

brianwmay has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g

I got myself into a similar tiz a few times recently, then I realised that it was not the iPod, it was the router that had lost it's connection.

What I mean is everything INSIDE the house was good, connection, signal strength etc, but the house was NOT connected (I have Sky Broadband in UK and wish I'd stuck with Virgin).

Are your computers actually connected to the internet or just to the router?

Mac Junkie
- MacBook Pro 2.4, 500Gb, 4Gb
- MacBook Air (wife's), - iPad 2 64Gb
- 2 x iPod Touch 32Gb and iPhones 3GS 32Gb
QUOTE Thanks
Cappie

My computers are connected to the wireless router and work fine during all of this. Now the iPod is back online, but for how long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwmay View Post
I got myself into a similar tiz a few times recently, then I realised that it was not the iPod, it was the router that had lost it's connection.

What I mean is everything INSIDE the house was good, connection, signal strength etc, but the house was NOT connected (I have Sky Broadband in UK and wish I'd stuck with Virgin).

Are your computers actually connected to the internet or just to the router?
QUOTE Thanks
fostermom

fostermom is on a distinguished road

Had the same problem mine would not connect to my router but will connect to my neighbor so i just use his wifi
QUOTE Thanks
Cappie

I've noticed that it seems to only happen at certain times. I would think it was the network, but all the other computers work while this is happening.
QUOTE Thanks
iphone666

iphone666 is on a distinguished road

this is normal. the ipod touch's wifi receiver can be spotty at times. if you have many computers connected to the network at the same time you are using the ipod, it can have some impact.

All of my suggestions are provided "as-is". I am not responsible for the outcome.
Please follow me on twitter at: http://www.twitter.com/forumdude1024
QUOTE Thanks
PixelP 2.o

PixelP 2.o is on a distinguished road

I have a similar wifi problem, where (after toggling the wifi on in settings) it sees and connects to my router, but there's no little wifi icon in the top left corner and it doesn't get any internet. I have to turn the wifi back off, then on again...then it autoconnects "for real" the 2nd time and all is well.

wierd.

24" iMac 2.4 GHz 4GB
4GB iPod Nano (3gen)
8GB iPod Touch (2gen)
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Try a different channel on your router. If there's a signal in a house nearby, they can start interferring if they're on the same channel.

These things are generally router related. There are no problems with the iPod's wi-fi hardware.
QUOTE Thanks
PixelP 2.o

PixelP 2.o is on a distinguished road

fwiw, the 2.2 update seemed to fix the problem (for me).

24" iMac 2.4 GHz 4GB
4GB iPod Nano (3gen)
8GB iPod Touch (2gen)
QUOTE Thanks
iphone666

iphone666 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelP 2.o View Post
I have a similar wifi problem, where (after toggling the wifi on in settings) it sees and connects to my router, but there's no little wifi icon in the top left corner and it doesn't get any internet. I have to turn the wifi back off, then on again...then it autoconnects "for real" the 2nd time and all is well.

wierd.
i have to do the same thing too sometimes to get wifi to work!!! hopefully a new firmware update will fix this

All of my suggestions are provided "as-is". I am not responsible for the outcome.
Please follow me on twitter at: http://www.twitter.com/forumdude1024
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« When to buy iPod Touch? | 2g iTouch won't work with FM Transmitter! »