New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod Touch - Did iTouch Connector Pin Configuration Change?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rukind2

rukind2 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" Air, 2 Ghz Intel Core i7, 500 SSD, 8G Ram

Did the power connector pin configuration change from previous generation ipods? I ask because all my previous iPods worked using my in-car connector. These include the Nano and 5th Gen iPod. It powered these and the sound was of course great. The iTouch is not recognized by my system and it does not power up either.

Is this a known issue?
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

What kind of system? If you are talking about an actual car audio connection that would depend on the manufacturer having the correct software to read the newer versions of the ipod. For instance, my Alpine iDA-X100 works with all iPods, including the newest generation .... but the built in connector in my Jetta does not work with anything over 5th generation.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
rukind2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeafter2am View Post
What kind of system? If you are talking about an actual car audio connection that would depend on the manufacturer having the correct software to read the newer versions of the ipod. For instance, my Alpine iDA-X100 works with all iPods, including the newest generation .... but the built in connector in my Jetta does not work with anything over 5th generation.
I connect through a JL CleanSweep system. I'll check with JL to see what they know. I thought it was a hardware issue, not software...

Thanks for the heads-up!
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukind2 View Post
I connect through a JL CleanSweep system. I'll check with JL to see what they know. I thought it was a hardware issue, not software...

Thanks for the heads-up!
Well, hardware as far as the hardware also changing between the different generations of the iPods, but the software also changes between them.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
rukind2

I spoke with JL today and learned the following: the cable pins did change. The new cable will work with the iTouch. Because it also includes video. Anyway, they told me best buy has a cable vetted by Apple that will work with the Cleansweep.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

The pins did indeed change. I have a DICE iPod integration unit in my Honda. It works fine with any iPod, except the iPhone 3G and the iPod Touch 2G. Apparently Apple removed the firewire charge pin in the latest revisions, causing compatibility issues.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

You going to want to buy something like this
Scosche rolls out slew of iPod, iPhone accessories | iLounge News

I also need to pick one up as my iPhone 3G does not charge with my Alpine iPod controller.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Nice find. I'm thinking about ordering one of those myself. I'm a little apprehensive at the moment, since it hasn't even started shipping. I might have to wait to see if iLounge gets a test unit to review.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxian View Post
You going to want to buy something like this
Scosche rolls out slew of iPod, iPhone accessories | iLounge News

I also need to pick one up as my iPhone 3G does not charge with my Alpine iPod controller.
Hmm, I wonder if that would work with my iPod dock in my Jetta? Great find!

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Built-in Speakers | thoughts about these 2 cases »