New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

Ipod linux?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

austin

has anyone used podzilla...i saw it, and was wondering if its any good?
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

not to troll, but why would anyone want to run linux on their iPod?

(other than the obvious: "i run linux so i'm 1337'er than you." statement?)
QUOTE Thanks
austin

well, i had someone from my site say
Quote:
Originally Posted by D34th
Anyone use Linux on their iPod? Such as Podzilla, my friend uses it and it seems pretty cool. I might try it out, anyone have any comments?
and i was wondering if it was any good
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I am curious about that also.. if it does anything special, or if the whole point is to just be able to run linux on the iPod.. and do you use the iPod screen and buttons to maneuver or is it basically just an external firewire drive that you hook up that is running linux?
QUOTE Thanks
austin

that d34th guy from my site, said that his friend likes it, im not sure how its that much different. I have some links to some pics of ipod linux in that forum on my site.
QUOTE Thanks
Gar

hmm seems quite useless at the moment to be frank. nice idea though
QUOTE Thanks
austin

i think its kindof like linux for windows...why use it when the program you currently use is superior to it...not sure tho
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

I think it's just a "proof of concept" thing.

"Look, I can run Linux on my iPod. Linux is a portable OS, and therefore it rulez!"

People buy iPods to play music. If you want to run Linux, buy a cheapo $199 computer running Linspire and put Debian/Slackware/insert favourite distro here on it.
QUOTE Thanks
austin

ya i think it is too
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all

why not run OS X off of the iPod.. now that would rule
QUOTE Thanks
flonejek

I have it on my ipod now, the cool thing is it doesnt do anything to the ipod firmware. By default it boots the ipod firmware but if you hold down play while booting it boots the ipodlinux kernel. Each of the 4 buttons can be set to different images so you can boot 5 different firmwares in total, tho realistically theres only space for the ipod firmware and 2 ipodlinux kernels. I guess u can type but you have to scroll through the letters. Ive got podzilla starting on the ipodlinux boot, and it has a few nifty things, my favourite being othello but u have too play someone else as theres no AI. Another really cool thing is that you can view B&W pictures in Podzilla on a non photo ipod. apart from that its just a harmless toy, its music playbacks pretty hopeless at the moment.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
why not run OS X off of the iPod.. now that would rule
Mmmm... grayscale Aqua interface. :mac:

Even if you got it to boot, it would break your iPod faster than your 4 year old nephew.
QUOTE Thanks
austin

dont you guys think that apple should go back to making pdas, they could combine a pda with the quality of apple, and the storage of an ipod...now that would be nice! (not to mention the size of a brick)
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

No future in PDA's at this point.. which then means no money in it.. If they ever get more popular then they are.. you'll see Apple creating one.
QUOTE Thanks
austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin
dont you guys think that apple should go back to making pdas, they could combine a pda with the quality of apple, and the storage of an ipod...now that would be nice! (not to mention the size of a brick)
nvm that, now i figure if apple can make a computer soo small and still have everything needed, why cant they make a pda...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do i get songs off my ipod onto my computer??? | the signature white earbuds... »