New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod Touch - Is the new one worth it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Forum Shark

Forum Shark is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)

Hey, everyone. I was wondering if the new iPod Touch is really worth it. You can get a 1st generation iPod Touch for $179.00, or I could get the new one for 239. The only real new thing is the new look (I can live without the new look) and it's got the speaker and external volume control. Is it worth the extra cash? I'm sure there is a 3rd party speaker you can get for the 1st generation, but I'm not sure. So, is the new one worth it?

Thanks

Forum Shark

Please follow me to Twitter! http://twitter.com/ForumShark
QUOTE Thanks
MacBurg

MacBurg has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G

Well I never had a 1st gen touch but I'm starting to really love my new 2nd gen 32GB touch. The external speaker is great for reviewing music in the iTunes store and also viewing YouTube. I like to have most of my music collection available too, so although 32GB is still a bit slim it's the biggest available yet. The new styling of the iPod Touch is very slick too, feels great on the hand but whether that is a deciding factor is up to you.
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

I'm not sure whether it's just that its new and shiny, but I do like the feel of the new model and how thin it is. It also seems a little more responsive than my 1st gen. The external speaker makes this really fun. I'd probably go for the newer one, but then again, it depends how much you value having the latest and greatest. All up, I don't know if it's worth $60... probably not, maybe $40 or $50. So I'd look at it as whether I had $60 spare or not.

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks
eMac

eMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15.4" C2D 2.4GHz 2GB Ram 160GB HD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Nano 8GB

If you have the first gen ipod touch then no, it's not really worth it. If you don't have one yet, might as well go for the new one.

eMac .
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

You might as well go for the newer, but there's only a miniscule difference between the two.

They've only given the new one a new back, thrown in a speaker and added a volume control so they can sell some more at Christmas.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

The remote control feature and external volume controls would be reason enough for me to spend the extra cash for the new one.

If I had to pull out my iPhone and unlock the screen every time I wanted to adjust the volume it would drive me nuts.
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

You don't have to unlock the screen to adjust the volume- just tap the Home button twice and then adjust the volume, skip songs or whatever. The screen stays locked.
QUOTE Thanks
brianwmay

brianwmay has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g

Wow, thanks for that.

The only irritation I had with my ('old') iTouch was that I had to unlock it to adjust the volume.

Due to your post . . . I don't. Thanks a heap.

My iTouch is only 9 weeks or so old as I had no idea a new one was coming out. That said, I love it.

Mac Junkie
- MacBook Pro 2.4, 500Gb, 4Gb
- MacBook Air (wife's), - iPad 2 64Gb
- 2 x iPod Touch 32Gb and iPhones 3GS 32Gb
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by karudzo View Post
You don't have to unlock the screen to adjust the volume- just tap the Home button twice and then adjust the volume, skip songs or whatever. The screen stays locked.
But you can't do that while it's still in your pocket, which is what I believe Apt was getting at

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Forum Shark

Forum Shark is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)

What I meant was... Should I buy the new one or the older one. Is the extra money worth it, or is it fine to buy the older one? Thanks for all you input, by the way.

Please follow me to Twitter! http://twitter.com/ForumShark
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I'd say buy the new one simply because it has more features and you won't have to pay extra for the 2.0 update.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
carlyse_09

carlyse_09 is on a distinguished road

For me it is...You can do lot of things to it..It also looks elegant..
QUOTE Thanks
iphone666

iphone666 is on a distinguished road

If you have an older model touch, the new one has nothing compelling worth the $229+ upgrade. But if you don't have a touch yet, the new one is better than the old one and would be a great buy. The new speaker isn't anything to get too excited about, it's just for causal listening. But the app store is the best thing ever. The free apps available are just shocking!! And more apps come in every day. It is also thinner than the older touch. Oh yeah, and don't forget about the external volume controls.

All of my suggestions are provided "as-is". I am not responsible for the outcome.
Please follow me on twitter at: http://www.twitter.com/forumdude1024
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Radio Tuner | 3G stuck on Apple screen with Leopard image file on it »