New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod and Windows XP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MarvinG

Hi

I am looking to buy an iPOD 40GB, for use with my DELL Windows XP machine (which has no firewire, just USB)

I have a nubver of questions:

1) I have read that the iPOD can be charged via USB but only via 'high power' ports and only via OS/X operating systems I dont know if DELL has high power ports (or if that is a Mac term), but I know I dont have OS/X ! Does this mean I can only charge my iPOD via the AC adapter, and not simpley via the USB cable?

2) How does the docking station work? Does it provide for both the USB and AC adaptor connections? If yes, then I 'can' charge it while docked - correct?

3) Does the iPod DOCK accessory (value = $49CDN) come included for free with the 40GB unit? The Apple web site implies it does - re comparison betwenn 20GB and 40GB models.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

If your computer has USB 2.0 ports it can charge the iPod

The dock is just a stand for the iPod when you plug it into the computer or the wall adapter..There is not one cable to the PC and one to the AC Charger. The AC adapter plugs into a wall and then the firewire cable which comes with the iPod plugs into the Adapter and charges the iPod

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
MarvinG

a) So, if I understand you correctly, I can ignore the fact my DELL as no firewire as the connection is as follows:

WALL <--> AC ADAPTER <--Firewire--> IPOD <--USB--> PC

b) If the DOCK is just a stand, with no connectivity, why is it so expensive?

c) Does the DOCK come included with the 40GB model?
QUOTE Thanks
edgefusion

edgefusion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram

B) The dock is so expensive because of Steve Jobs famous reality distortion field.

QUOTE Thanks
NightCrawler

NightCrawler is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen

USB 1.0 and 1.1 can also charge your iPod...
i know...

Quote:
- It's like - he was got - they'd just like. It was like so hush hush. They were so... quiet about it. And then the next thing you know...
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinG
a) So, if I understand you correctly, I can ignore the fact my DELL as no firewire as the connection is as follows:

WALL <--> AC ADAPTER <--Firewire--> IPOD <--USB--> PC

b) If the DOCK is just a stand, with no connectivity, why is it so expensive?

c) Does the DOCK come included with the 40GB model?
a) No

You can not have the iPod connected to the adapter and the computer at the same time. It is one or the other. The firewire cable and USB cable are the exact same thing except that one is firewire and the other usb. The Firewire cable is the only one that can plug into the AC Adapter.

b) It has connectivity but it doesnt give you anything extra except for a Line-out port.

At the back of the dock there is a port which is the same as the port on the bottom of the iPod (See attached picture) which you plug into your computer or into the AC Adapter. There is also an line out port so you can connect to a home stereo

c) Thats what the site says
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ipod.jpg (9.4 KB, 9 views)

QUOTE Thanks
MarvinG

Hmmm, for such a state -of-the-art product, I'm not very impressed. Ideally, I would want to dock my iPod, and be able to sync and/or charge and/or connect to a stereo .

1) I just read the manual - abosultely no refernece to USB. Am I reading the wrong manual?

2) Is there an online manual for the iPod dock?

3) The ads for the iPod dock imply sync 'and' charge (so its quite misleading if these cant be done at the same time). Apple web says "The iPod Dock makes charging and syncing easier than ever. A convenient and elegant home base for iPod on a desk or connected to a home stereo system, the dock provides charging and syncing via FireWire or USB 2.0"

4) You state that one CANNOT charge and sync at the same time. But according to a few sites, with the correct cable, you can: Link1 ; or Link2

5) the above is syncing via USB and charging via firewire, but its unclear is they are saying the firewire-to-AC adapter connection is via firwewire port on the iPod iteself, or the firewire connector at the end of the docking cable.

6) Even if the cable works, ie sync and charge at the same time, , one cannot use this cable, and be docked at the same time!
QUOTE Thanks
The mac 13

probally u were using a usb hub. some arnt powered. even my 2000 machine shows that whenever i use a hub. but it can sync and be used as a portable hard drive. if possible, use direct connection the the ports behind da dell hood to charge it. sometimes i charge my mini via sync! its ok! let me handle this mac users since i am using windows like this troubled dude!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Your not getting this. The cable for the iPod can charge and sync at the same time. You can not have it plugged into the Charger and the Computer at the same time but your computer can charge the iPod if it has the correct card.

2. No manual because theres nothing to explain
3. You can charge and sync but not using the AC Adapter.
5. There is no firewire port on the iPod. There is the port at the bottom of the iPod that you can connect the firewire cable/usb cable to. When you sit the iPod into the dock it is resting on a piece that fits into the bottom port. There is the exact same port on the back of the dock which you can then plug into the ac adapter or into the computer
6. You can not connect to the dock and use the port on the iPod at the same time.

QUOTE Thanks
pdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
...The firewire cable and USB cable are the exact same thing except that one is firewire and the other usb.
sorry, but this part was funny.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Yeah, it's same, but different...
QUOTE Thanks
The mac 13

u dont need a 2.0 to charge it. i am using like mayb 1.0 and it CAN be charged.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mac 13
u dont need a 2.0 to charge it. i am using like mayb 1.0 and it CAN be charged.
If it is plugged into a powered USB Hub then it will charge but not a built in USB 1.1 card

QUOTE Thanks
The mac 13

true. also, some usb hubs cant charge.. but can sync..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bit the Bullet - Bought a U2 iPod | mini charging. »