New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod Touch - IM programs on touch

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

Hi all, I am considering an ipod touch. Few questions. First off, is the ipod touch internet browser like safari on my macbook, or is is a mobile browser type, like on a cheap cellphone. Basically, can I access all sights on the web with the touch and have them appear the same only smaller as on my macbook, or is it like my sprit phone, and only does certain sights? Second, are there any im programs for the ipod touch, such as yahoo messenger or adium?
QUOTE Thanks
Heart/Mac

Heart/Mac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook white 160GB. iPod nano... old school one.

Go to the iTunes app store. There is AIM and Twitteriffic. That's all that I know of so far. Both are free.
QUOTE Thanks
melmation

melmation has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive

Yes, the safari browser is like a travel version of Monopoly, all the bits are there, only teeny tiny.

Basically, when you load a page in Safari it is shrunk to the size of the screen. Then when you want to read or look at a specific part of the page, you double tap that part and it zooms into it. You can also pinch in or out of the page like a photograph. All sites work, all links and buttons work.

The only thing that doesn't work is flash. Any flash components are represented by a missing plugin icon.

I was going to screen grab this post in safari on my touch, but it has deeply used the battery so it will be 10 mins before it can switch on again, but the above picture shows Safari behaving just like on your desktop machine (minus Flash)

Mel

MacBook Pro 1.83Ghz 2Gb RAM 320Gb hard drive
iPhone 4 16Gb
iPod photo 20Gb
QUOTE Thanks
melmation

melmation has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive

My iPod kicked in so here's a picture of Safari running in portrait mode showing this very post...

MacBook Pro 1.83Ghz 2Gb RAM 320Gb hard drive
iPhone 4 16Gb
iPod photo 20Gb
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

awesome, thanks for the info.After reading this I went to the apple website and ordered the 8gb version. Thanks for the info!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Lytheil

Lytheil is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb

Still waiting for the Messenger app for the Touch 2.0.. Meebo is lousy..

QUOTE Thanks
smirak

smirak is on a distinguished road

While I am no expert here, you pretty much got the answer. I have noticed that some websites (ESPN for example) give mobile versions of their "Safari/IE/Firefox desktop partners".

K
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytheil View Post
Still waiting for the Messenger app for the Touch 2.0.. Meebo is lousy..
I love meebo. Although at the moment I'm using an app from the app store called palringo which is a multi-platform IM client (msn, yahoo, aim, gtalk, etc all in one). I find it a bit slow to type on though, there's a tiny delay sometimes, which is quite annoying.

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unable to watch videos on my iPod | 4th Gen. Repair »