Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   iPod Hardware and Accessories (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipod-hardware-accessories/)
-   -   iPod Touch vs iPhone (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipod-hardware-accessories/117183-ipod-touch-vs-iphone.html)

Forum Shark 07-24-2008 04:34 PM

iPod Touch vs iPhone

Hey Guys. I am contemplating on getting an iPod Touch for my videos and such (obviously) but as I was looking through the features, design, etc, I noticed something.

The iPod Touch and the iPhone are alike in many ways. The only difference I really see is the price, and that you can make calls on the iPhone. Does anyone have input?

Eric559 07-24-2008 05:04 PM

Do you need a phone? Get an iPhone.

Do you need just something to carry your media around? iPod Touch.

:)

skaheadpunk 07-24-2008 05:08 PM

Yup. The difference is the phone thing. I like Eric's advise :)

Andre 07-24-2008 07:06 PM

Well, the iPhone also has a camera, microphone and speaker, if that comes into play at all. The most glaring difference is that you can get an iPod Touch without a contract :) Also, if you are buying a used one, you need to pay 10 bucks to upgrade to iPhone OS 2.0. If they charged you for this release, chances are they will continue to charge for further upgrades...?

Eric559 07-24-2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andre (Post 698172)
Also, if you are buying a used one, you need to pay 10 bucks to upgrade to iPhone OS 2.0. If they charged you for this release, chances are they will continue to charge for further upgrades...?

iPhone users are upgraded to 2.0 for free. iPod Touch users are the only ones who have to pay for the upgrade.

Andre 07-24-2008 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric559 (Post 698176)
iPhone users are upgraded to 2.0 for free. iPod Touch users are the only ones who have to pay for the upgrade.

Oh sorry, 100% true! :) "used one" is a little too vague, I suppose haha.

Forum Shark 07-24-2008 07:58 PM

Thanks, guys. I don't need a phone, I was just curious about the difference. So, as far as I understand, the difference is the camera, microphone, cost, a plan, and the phone feature, right?

To be honest, if I wanted a phone, I wouldn't get an iPhone. Don't get me wrong, I think they're cool, but it's WAY too expensive. Did you know, in Belgium, they pay the equivilent to about 900 American dollars? Along with the monthly fees!! I think that's outrageous when you can pay 400 dollars (just one payment) for almost the same thing.

(PS: If I had that kind of money, I would get an iPhone).

Alexis 07-25-2008 07:41 AM

They are basically the same.

The Touch (or iProd as I like to call it) lacks the phone features and GPS, but that's about it.

The Prod is also quite a lot thinner and lighter. The iPhone is nice, but the Prod is a nicer bit of kit aesthetically.

LEOVAN83 07-29-2008 01:59 AM

You can get a 32gb Touch for the price of a 16gb iPhone. I have almost 14 gb of stuff already on my 32gb, and I'm glad I didn't choose the iPhone.

Plus, here's the deal. A phone is an everyday device, which needs to be practical, sturdy, something that you wouldn't be worrying about getting scratched or dropped. An iPhone is too "cool" or "beautiful" for that, I mean, the screen is made of glass and it will crack if it falls, then, it's not very compact. To me, the answer is getting a good rubbery phone so I need nothing to worry about, like my Nextel phone, is simple, rubber all around and I've dropped it TONS of times, I've even driven nails in with it! A phone is a phone, you will put a lot of wear into it, and to me, 500 bucks are not made to be damaged. That's why a Touch seems more reasonable, because you will use it on a totally different basis.

Aptmunich 07-29-2008 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forum Shark (Post 698195)
Thanks, guys. I don't need a phone, I was just curious about the difference. So, as far as I understand, the difference is the camera, microphone, cost, a plan, and the phone feature, right?

To be honest, if I wanted a phone, I wouldn't get an iPhone. Don't get me wrong, I think they're cool, but it's WAY too expensive. Did you know, in Belgium, they pay the equivilent to about 900 American dollars? Along with the monthly fees!! I think that's outrageous when you can pay 400 dollars (just one payment) for almost the same thing.

(PS: If I had that kind of money, I would get an iPhone).

The Belgians pay more because the phone isn't subsidized by their carrier. As a result the monthly plan should be cheaper.

Apart from the phone, camera and speaker thing, a few other points to consider:

The iPhone has volume controls on the side and the clicker on the headphone cord for play/pause/track skip. On the touch you'll need to wake the screen every time you want to adjust the volume or song. That alone is almost a deal-breaker for me.

Michael415 07-31-2008 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEOVAN83 (Post 700109)
You can get a 32gb Touch for the price of a 16gb iPhone. I have almost 14 gb of stuff already on my 32gb, and I'm glad I didn't choose the iPhone.

Plus, here's the deal. A phone is an everyday device, which needs to be practical, sturdy, something that you wouldn't be worrying about getting scratched or dropped. An iPhone is too "cool" or "beautiful" for that, I mean, the screen is made of glass and it will crack if it falls, then, it's not very compact. To me, the answer is getting a good rubbery phone so I need nothing to worry about, like my Nextel phone, is simple, rubber all around and I've dropped it TONS of times, I've even driven nails in with it! A phone is a phone, you will put a lot of wear into it, and to me, 500 bucks are not made to be damaged. That's why a Touch seems more reasonable, because you will use it on a totally different basis.

Its funny how different ppl look at things. I would never buy a touch simply because its one more thing to pack, and if I was willing to do that I would get the classic and have tons of storage. The beauty of the iphone is its ability to be a jack of all trades, so to speak. Its my phone, calendar and ipod all in one small package. You would be hard pressed to get me to go back to carrying a phone, ipod, and pda. I can attest to its sturdiness, mine goes with me everywhere every day all day long and it looks as good as the day I bought it which is coming up on a year now. Will I drive nails with it, no I have a hammer, and if I drop it I am not stressed either simply because for 30 bucks a year I got a rider on my insurance that covers it w/no deductible.

wcarr3 07-31-2008 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael415 (Post 701160)
..........I am not stressed either simply because for 30 bucks a year I got a rider on my insurance that covers it w/no deductible.

If you don't mind me asking, who do you have your insurance through for your i-phone?

Michael415 07-31-2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcarr3 (Post 701266)
If you don't mind me asking, who do you have your insurance through for your i-phone?

State Farm

SakuCaribou 04-27-2009 08:44 PM

hey!! i have a few questions!!! On the Iphone, when you take pictured, is it possible to put them on the computer after? do we really have to pay mounthly? what if we dont use the phone?? im hesitating between the 32GB touch and the iphone..because of the camera...what do you suggest??

baggss 04-27-2009 08:49 PM

You still pay for the phone service wether you use it or not. As for pictures, yes. You can sync them to your computer or just e-mail them to yourself, whichever.