New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - Transfer Windows to Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vleggate

vleggate is on a distinguished road

I bought an IPod classic in October 2007. I registered it with Windows XP and loaded on my entire music collection.

I have since moved cities, taking my ipod but leaving behind my Windows computer.

I am going to purchase a macbook. I would like to copy my music library from my ipod to my new macbook, and reformat my ipod to work with the Mac instead of Windows.

Could someone let me know the best way to do this?
QUOTE Thanks
jodester

jodester is on a distinguished road

Hey Vleggate

From reading round the M-F on this topic, senuti comes highly recommended. I'm in the same position as you, windows formatted iPod moving to Mac without any backups/cds or anything. I haven't tried senuti as yet, I'm nervous about doing so incase I delete everything.

The sticky'd post in this thread should answer your questions though.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!
QUOTE Thanks
vedder10

vedder10 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 1.25ghz 512mb RAM 250GB hard drive

I did do this about a year ago now. First off you will not regret this decision to move all of your library to a mac because things just seem to work so much more seamlessly. Second I really suggest you invest in a back-up media before you do this. You really should have a back-up hard drive regardless, just as an itunes user who values your media library. Third I didn't use any type of third party application, I just used the instructions found on Apples support site. Like I mentioned I used an external hard drive and the only problem I ran into was loosing play lists, song play counts, and just subtle settings that I had grown accustomed to. They do give instructions on how to transfer the xml files that contains all of this info but it just wasn't clear enough for me. I did however manage to keep all of my audio files in tact without losing even one mp3. But I would make sure you jot down and keep track of the numbers of songs, movies, tv shows and videos you currently have to make sure the numbers mirror the finished product on your destination computer. Also I would just write down certain settings that you currently prefer so that if you lose those in the transfer you have a reference sheet to look at.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Take a look at my sig, dude it worked for me!

QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vleggate View Post
I bought an IPod classic in October 2007. I registered it with Windows XP and loaded on my entire music collection.

I have since moved cities, taking my ipod but leaving behind my Windows computer.

I am going to purchase a macbook. I would like to copy my music library from my ipod to my new macbook, and reformat my ipod to work with the Mac instead of Windows.

Could someone let me know the best way to do this?
Use Senuti.

It's an application that transfers stuff from an iPod to a Mac. I used that when I got my new iMac, and it worked beautifully. Oh, and it's free.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

You do not NEED to reformat the iPod, the Mac should work fine with the Windows formatted iPod.

As for Apps, I would recommend iPod Access myself, but that is just me.

QUOTE Thanks
UFGator

UFGator is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
You do not NEED to reformat the iPod, the Mac should work fine with the Windows formatted iPod.

As for Apps, I would recommend iPod Access myself, but that is just me.
I need some help. When I plug my Windows iPod into my MBP, nothing happens. The iPod reads the "Do not disconnect", but that is it. The Mac does not show that anything is plugged in. What should I do?

15" 2.4 Matte MBP, 4GB RAM, 200GB HDD @7200 rpm

20GB 3rd Generation White iPod | 30GB 5th Generation Black iPod Video | 32 GB 1st Generation iPod Touch | 500GB Time Capsule
QUOTE Thanks
UFGator

UFGator is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

anybody? please

15" 2.4 Matte MBP, 4GB RAM, 200GB HDD @7200 rpm

20GB 3rd Generation White iPod | 30GB 5th Generation Black iPod Video | 32 GB 1st Generation iPod Touch | 500GB Time Capsule
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ipod Classic side picture thing | Rumors... new Touch?? »