New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod in Car

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jasihn

I have an older CD player in my car without inputs. Do I have any options, besides a new system and an FM Transmitter, to play the iPod in the car?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

you could get a cassette adapter but the FM transmitters work great for me....i use the iTrip
QUOTE Thanks
Emrys

Emrys is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM

What kind of deck do you have? Is it stock? How old. You might be able to get a CD changer adapter that will allow you to add AUX inputs to your deck.

Emrys
Community Administrator / Moderator
MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
jasihn

Hi Emrys! The brand name has slipped my mind but it is not stock. It is a low end deck that I bought at Best Buy for less than $200. Can you explain more about the adding AUX inputs?
QUOTE Thanks
Emrys

Emrys is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM

Sure...

I have a '02 Jimmy. My stock deck is a Delco. The deck was designed to be able to control a CD changer. But I don't have a CD changer. So what I did, was buy a cable that "emulates" the CD changer interface, but actually has 2 RCA jacks at the other end, so you can hook up basically anything in the world that has RCA outputs. Does that make sense?

Check out this site : http://www.installer.com/adapt.html

They have tons of adapters. But being as your deck is aftermarket, you probably won't see anything there.

What is the make/model of your deck? Try calling a local car stereo place and see if they know what they are talking about. If so, ask them to look for one for you.

The price might be a little steep for you. Seeing as you already spent $200 on an aftermarket deck, you might not want to spend another $80 on an adapter. Maybe buy a new deck? For me, it was worth it, because I converted my stock CD deck that works great otherwise. I haven't looked at any decks lately, but you cold probably get a brand new deck for little more than $80 that will have an AUX input, proabably in the front of it for easy accessability. I had to extract my deck, run wires through the dash, and I have 2 RCA jacks hanging out the bottom of my dash. I will try to take a picture and get it up here to show you.

Hope that helps a little....

Emrys
Community Administrator / Moderator
MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
retep

i used to use a tape deck adapter, but my new car doesn't have a tape player. help
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for Backlit LCD Remote | PodMaster updates? »