New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

mac to pc

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

squirellz

squirellz is on a distinguished road

hello all,
Im guessing this is a common thing, but I couldnt find it in the forums. Couldnt figure out what to search for. Anyway, I want to use my iPod on my new mac. It is currently formated for Windows. I know it will have to be re-formated, but I want to make sure I do not lose anything. All of my music is stored on an external hdd. My files are all in the same place, but a lot are in different folders. If I purge all of the music on the hdd will it go back into folder form on iTunes? Also, I want to continue to store my music n the external, so I am wondering how to do this without having to re-transfer all of the music to the macbook? Sorry for the length, I happen to be mac retarded. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks all
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

So you have an iPod that syncs with iTunes on windows and that iTunes Library is on an external drive.

You want to use your iPod with iTunes on your mac but still use your external drive to hold your music.

Is that right or am I barking up the wrong tree?

edit: if my guess above is correct this article will help.

mrplow

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
djsooty

djsooty is an unknown at this point

You will loose all your files if you re-format but look for a program on the net called "share pod" (i think) that is what i used, Basically it takes all your music off, because you know apple puts all the music in weird folders.

Here mate try this.
http://www.getsharepod.com/

---------
danny
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Surely it doesn't matter what's on the ipod? Everything is held in iTunes(on the ext HDD in this case), except any files you've put there in 'disk-mode' but these can be copied from the iPod without extra software. Format it then just re-sync with iTunes.

The only reason I can see for needing to recover the files from the iPod is if you don't have the original files (HDD crash etc).

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

NOTE: Moved to appropriate forum.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
squirellz

squirellz is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help. I'll see what I can do. Sorry for the location.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirellz View Post
hello all,
Im guessing this is a common thing, but I couldnt find it in the forums. Couldnt figure out what to search for. Anyway, I want to use my iPod on my new mac. It is currently formated for Windows. I know it will have to be re-formated, but I want to make sure I do not lose anything. All of my music is stored on an external hdd. My files are all in the same place, but a lot are in different folders. If I purge all of the music on the hdd will it go back into folder form on iTunes? Also, I want to continue to store my music n the external, so I am wondering how to do this without having to re-transfer all of the music to the macbook? Sorry for the length, I happen to be mac retarded. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks all
Why in the world would you have to reformat your iPod for the Mac? Macs can use either format when it comes to the iPod (FAT-32 or HFS+).

The ONLY drawback of using a Windows formatted iPod on a Mac is the Mac will be unable to perform iPod software updates.

As for your music, what is the format of the external drive? If it's NTFS you will need to either reformat it to FAT-32 or HFS+, both of which can be done on your Mac. Using FAT-32 will allow you to still use the drive on the Windows box as well if desired. The Mac can read NTFS drives but not write to them so reformatting or purchasing software to allow the Mac to write to NTFS are your options.

You do not need to transfer your music to the Mac if you are using FAT-32 (or HFS+), you simply need to tell iTunes that the Library is on the external drive and then add your music to the library on the Mac, making sure the box for copying the music files to the Mac is unchecked.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Why in the world would you have to reformat your iPod for the Mac? Macs can use either format when it comes to the iPod (FAT-32 or HFS+).
Are you sure about that baggs? I might be wrong, but I could swear that when I first plugged my iPod into my Mac, it prompted me to reformat as "Mac format" before it would sync. Maybe it was optional, but I could have sworn it preempted me before I could use it.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Yes. It will prompt you, but it you don't have to. If it is a new iPod it needs to be formated either way first, but after that it will work. If the iPod is already Windows formated, it should work fine on the Mac. All of the iPod Shuffles come in and can only be formated as FAT-32.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Playlist Problems | iTunes: refresh playlist »