New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod Touch - Firmware Upgrade for New Apps

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vbhacker

vbhacker can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iPod touch 1st gen 8GB

I just bought a Touch a few weeks ago, now am I going to have to pay to upgrade to the 2.0 firmware when the apps come out next month?

If so, this is ridiculous. I specifically waited to buy one after the last batch of apps came out so I wouldn't have to pay. All the while, iPhone users keep getting the firmware for free.

Are there any demos for the new apps? I've only been able to find one site with a couple of demos for a couple of not so good apps.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Unfortunately, you will have to pay for the 2.0 firmware update.

There aren't any demos available because the 2.0 firmware isn't out yet. You'll have to wait a few more weeks before it is released.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
vbhacker

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense ...making people constantly pay for firmware upgrades and let the iPhone people have it for free.

I hope people return the Touch in droves. Mine's going back today.

Oh, and by demos I didn't mean that would actually run on the Touch/iPhone but I thought I had seen a site with web apps that were supposed to be very similar to the native apps that would be released in June.

Thanks for the info.
QUOTE Thanks
j21m2293

j21m2293 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 8 Gb iPhone/MacBook 2.2 Ghz/G5 iMac/ 8Gb iPod touch

Well I think that iPhones should be getting them for free.I mean out of the two iPhone bring in a much larger revenue with people having to pay for service which apple gets a small share of. And not to mention we paid 200 dollars more for the device.

Also I think that people who bought the iPod Touch (x) amount of days before the icon addiction upgrade came out got it for free. Not sure but think so. Check with apple.
QUOTE Thanks
birdhouse360360

birdhouse360360 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro -- 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo / 2 GB Ram / 320GB HD -- iPhone 3G Black 16GB

When is 2.0 supposed to come out?
QUOTE Thanks
vbhacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhouse360360 View Post
Sometime in June.
QUOTE Thanks
vbhacker

Does anyone know a definite release date and cost?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbhacker View Post
Does anyone know a definite release date and cost?
I don't believe Apple has publicly announced a specific date yet.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MacSmackKaboom

MacSmackKaboom is on a distinguished road

apple is not the best about giving out release dates
QUOTE Thanks
WolfsBane

WolfsBane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.

This is one of the reasons that I'm not even considering one. If you are going to put a product out there for people to pay good money for it, you need to support it, and I do mean, really support it. Not ask people to fork out yet more money to make it work the way it is supposed to.

Hope Springs Eternal
Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

People act like this is a new thing. If you own a Palm OS device and want to upgrade to a new OS (Firmware) version, you have to pay for it. In fact, those that own Palm based phones have to pay for it, at least iPhone users get it for free.

QUOTE Thanks
vbhacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
People act like this is a new thing. If you own a Palm OS device and want to upgrade to a new OS (Firmware) version, you have to pay for it. In fact, those that own Palm based phones have to pay for it, at least iPhone users get it for free.
...at least iPhone users get it for free? That still makes no difference to me, only aggravates me more that Apple decided to do it that way and some people are sticking up for them.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbhacker View Post
...at least iPhone users get it for free? That still makes no difference to me, only aggravates me more that Apple decided to do it that way and some people are sticking up for them.
My point is that Apple is not the only one doing this. You can be upset all you want, in the end the only one who suffers is you.

QUOTE Thanks
COZMOE00

COZMOE00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I have never had to pay an upgrade fee on my Treo, which runs Palm OS. PSPs update firmware for free. Whatever though, I won't be getting my Ipod Touch for a few more weeks. This does suck for everyone who already owns one though.
QUOTE Thanks
LTfan

LTfan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 80 GB HD, 1 GB memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhouse360360 View Post
well hopefully an announcement will be made at the upcoming WWDC. if not then i shall not be happy as i just got my touch the other day as i wanted it for my upcoming 18hr flight. but unlike everyone else, i dont mind paying to much more if it makes the product that much better. that and the iPhone isnt out in aus yet. but im sure it wont be much of a cost, maybe 50 bucks?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with Purchase | Please Help With Finding A Case! »