Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking Of Upgrading to iPod Touch
    Hi All ...

I have an IPOD Video (30Gig) and am thinking of getting an ITouch. I have a few questions for anyone who is kind enough to answer.

1. I know ITouch is limited to 16 Gig. Is that a serious restriction?

2. How much does it cost to access the internet using the ITouch?

3. How is the video qualilty compared to the IPOD video?

Many Thanks ...

ALAN

Specs:
    15" 2.4GHz Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by fotos4fun View Post
    1. I know ITouch is limited to 16 Gig. Is that a serious restriction?
    Only if you have a library larger than that (not counting other space required for apps, photos, etc. I use smart playlists in iTunes to manage mine. Works well for me. If you want your entire library on the device and it's too big, you may not be happy.
    2. How much does it cost to access the internet using the ITouch?
    Since the iTouch uses WiFi, that depends on how you're accessing it. It's not like a phone/data plan - it isn't always available. I use mine at home/work all the time. Away from there, I'm limited to coffee shops, etc.
    Haven't seen the iPod video, so I can't answer, but it's pretty nice to me.

Specs:
    27" iMac 3.06GHz 4Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD; 16Gb iPhone (white); Aluminium MacBook, 2.4Ghz, 4Gb, 500 Gb HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by fotos4fun View Post
    Hi All ...

Many Thanks ...

ALAN
    I have just moved from G5 Video to a 16Gb iPod Touch - the video on the Touch is as good as an iPod Video - definitely, but you have a bigger screen

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Actually, the iPod Touch now goes up to 32 GB. See this page from the Apple store.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Thank You for your quick reply ..

Just for my own clarification ... Does that mean it that as long as I am in a Wifi spot, it doesn't cost me extra to use the ITouch for Internet access? It's just as if I have my laptop with a wireless connection in the same spot?

In other words, I don't have to subscribe to a special provider (like Apple's) to access the Internet?

Regards,

Alan

Specs:
    New MACBOOK
    The ipod touch is exactly like a laptop with wireless.

Specs:
    MacBook white, 2.0 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 80G HDD, 1G RAM
    Does the iTouch have the scratch resistant surface just like the iPhone? I heard this but I just want confirmation before I bought one.

I saw the videos on youtube of the iPhone being attacked with razors and scissors, and although I don't think I'll ever do that, it gave me comfort knowing it won't look like the normal iPod's after just a few days!!
    "Have a strong base, a witty mind, and a heart that is open but in no way hungry."

30 gb ipod vs. iTouch
    I have a 30 GB video and a music producer I know purchased an itouch. Side by side the iTouch looks like a Plasma HDTV and the ipod looks like a standard TV. The resolution in iTouch is incredibly clear/bright and my ipod could not compete in video format even at its brightest and clearest settings. I kind of maxxed out my memory on my ipod anyway and had to take back for warranty repair because it crashed and wouldn't recover. I have some concerns about that in the future. I want an itouch but the Ipods offer up to 160 gb of memory and I could use it(hopefully take advantage of half of it just in videos). If I could get an itouch for about $500 with 80 gbs I would get it but I'll probably get one anyway!

Specs:
    Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
    The screen is definitely better than the 2.5" on the 30/80 model, I have both.

I find the wireless (which is exactly the same connection as any other wireless device, so doesn't incur any 'extra' charges) is a bit flaky - my woreless at home works fine for laptops and PCs, but the Itouch is forever dropping the connection. Overall it's OK though.

The size probably won;t bother you if you're used to a 30gb Ipod. I moved from an 80 to the 16gb touch, and quickly got used to it. You might have to sync more often, but it's no biggie.

On the other hand, the Itouch has some downsides.

The interface is amusing for about a week, then it's irritating. You can't do anything unless it's right there in your face - forget stuffing it in a pocket and moving tracks without looking.

Safari is fiddly, and again the novelty of zooming and flicking wears off pretty quickly. It also has (or had) some major bugs, with stuff like page navigation.

I find the sound isn't as good as the 5g, but when I posted about that, I was in a minority of one, so it's either just me, or I got a duff Ipod.

The TV out doesn't work with the standard cable. you have to buy Apples $50 rip-off cable. Irritating, but hey, we're Steves little ants . . .

Overall, unless you spend a lot of time watching video on the machine itself, I don't really think it's worth the money. I would add that I have a Blackberry that already does a lot of what the touch has, so I'm not as knocked out by stuff like Wireless internet as somebody who doesn't already have it.

Guess I'm kind of jaded with Ipods now. The Touch looked like a giant leap, but it's actually a little disappointing.

Specs:
    Does the iTouch have the scratch resistant surface just like the iPhone? I heard this but I just want confirmation before I bought one.
    "Have a strong base, a witty mind, and a heart that is open but in no way hungry."

Specs:
    2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
    The interface is amusing for about a week, then it's irritating. You can't do anything unless it's right there in your face - forget stuffing it in a pocket and moving tracks without looking.
    That's one part I don't like either. I like to listen to my iPod on shuffle while falling asleep. Before I could just keep my finger on the forward button to skip a song I didn't want to hear. Now I have to pick the iPod Touch up and actually open my eyes to change a song.
    Member Of The Month for December '08.
    It's only the internet!

Specs:
    multiple people have posted who OWN touches... why isn't anyone answering me...

Specs:
     15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
    I don't own one, but my friend has one, as well as my neighbor and both have said they are very hard to scratch. They keep them in the case they come with in their pockets and still no scratches. So yes, they have the anti scratch just like the iPhone.
    Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
    What sound does your Rooster make?

Specs:
    New MACBOOK
    I have one but its in a hard plastic case so I am not sure if they scratch or not.

Specs:
    thanks guys! think im going to get one now heh

Thread Information