New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod - iPod use on multiple computers.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rpmartin

rpmartin is on a distinguished road

I am having some difficulty with syncing an Ipod shuffle to multiple computers. I want to connect the Ipod to a Mini Mac and a laptop running windows XP.
I have Itunes on both computers. On the windows based computer I already use an Ipod Classic. I just bought the MAC a couple of months ago and I'm still learning how to use and get around in it. Any help in this department would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
titina

titina is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: black macbook OSX v10.5.8, 2.2 Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM

i think (happy to be corrected here) that the shuffle will only sync with pne itunes at a time.... at least that what mine says when i 've plugged it on 2 different macs.
HTH

iScream
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

a few questions from an Apple noobie

Read that post. I'm sure it answers most of your questions. And I'll quickly answer your main one. No, you can't have 2 synced libraries on any iPod. It isn't how it works. Syncing makes it exactly like it is on the original. If you were to sync colors of your shirt from a color wheel, you can't have both Exactly Blue, and Exactly Yellow. Ya know? Horrible analogy, but whatever.

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I have a Mac and a PC w/ XP. Both have iTunes registered to the same account. I am able to plug my Shuffle into either one and load it with music. I believe there are a couple catches you have to be aware of.

You can't load an iPod from a shared library on another computer. Shared libraries are only for streaming music from one computer to another. The music downloaded to the ipod has to come from the computer it's plugged in to. If you want the libraries on both machines to be identical, you'll have to keep up with that manually.

I don't think I can partially fill an ipod on one machine, then connect it to the other and add some more music. It all has to come from the same machine. If you switch machines, you have to reload the ipod completely from scratch.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this. My wife is out of town with her Shuffle, so I can't verify it.
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

As long as your iPod is on Manual update, you can select songs from any library/computer.

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
titina

titina is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: black macbook OSX v10.5.8, 2.2 Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogacon View Post
As long as your iPod is on Manual update, you can select songs from any library/computer.
correct. i've loaded music to my ipod photo from my itunes at work and from my i tunes at home from my macbook and from my boyfriend's macbook, all on manage manually-not syncing!
However the shuffle won't sync (manual or otherwise) on two different itunes (though i've not tried it with two identical itunes for which i am owner of the account, that may work...dunno)
hth

iScream
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Complete control over syncing my iTunes library to my iPod? | Thinking Of Upgrading to iPod Touch »