New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod Touch - What if I buy an iPod Touch now and the price drops?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

am17

am17 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 120GB Hard Drive, 2GB memory

It has been rumored on various Apple rumor websites that a price drop ($100) for the iPhone and iPod touch are/were due sometime between the end of February and mid-April. It is rumored that the 16GB iPod touch's will drop to $299 and the 8GB's will be discontinued.

I have also heard about Apple guaranteeing price drops within the first 30 days. Is this true? Does anyone have a link to Apple's official policy? I've searched but come up with nothing. What would happen if I bought a model that was then discontinued within 30 days?

I am going home this weekend from school, so now would be a great time for me to buy if I could reasonably guarantee some price protection from this rumored drop.

Thanks a lot!
QUOTE Thanks
am17

Mac Specs: White MacBook: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 120GB Hard Drive, 2GB memory

Update: I found a link to Apple's price protection policies (listed under "prices"): http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...s.html#topic-3

However, I've frequently heard 30 days elsewhere online (mostly in discussion forums such as this). Any idea why the discrepancy?
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

Then now is the best time to buy an 8GB iTouch! What a hot investment opportunity!

PS please don't take financial advice from this post.
QUOTE Thanks
charliecrosslan

charliecrosslan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB

If the price drops just after you buy it then...

TOUGH!

think about it, if you constantly worried about price drops, you'd never buy anything
QUOTE Thanks
am17

This isn't a matter of "constantly" worrying about price drops. This has to do with a rumored price drop in the immediate future. So yes, I think it's fair to worry about the "what if's" when there ARE in fact options.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

So, what if it does?

You must think it is worth the price they are currently asking since you're willing to purchase it.

If it is worth the current price to you, go get it if it tickles your fancy.

If it's not worth it's current asking price, then by all means wait for it to hit the price point you're willing to pay.

No matter what price you pay, as soon as you open the box it becomes worth less than you've paid.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
am17

I appreciate the responses, but I just want to clarify that I wasn't looking for general advice on buying something before the price drops. I was only posting to ask about Apple's SPECIFIC policies on crediting for price drops.

I just want to clarify so I don't seem like a whiner about price drops in general - I know they happen and certainly accept that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« In Ear headphones Help me decide | downgrade trouble »