New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPod Hardware and Accessories All iPod hardware discussions.

iPod "Killers" for Christmas.....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Two Interesting articles about the "iPod Killers" coming for Christmas....

Part 1....

and

Part 2.....

QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

I want a Gmini.
QUOTE Thanks
Mojo027

Mojo027 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9

I still want a 4g 20gb ipod.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

The power of the iPod is in it accessory market and its iTunes support. Those may be really nice players but they don't have that.
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Quote:
The power of the iPod is in it accessory market and its iTunes support. Those may be really nice players but they don't have that.
Agreed. And they don't look half as nice as the iPod/iPod mini. People don't really give two ****s or a **** if you can get a 0.01-inch smaller player for the same price. They're willing to pay a premium if it's good-looking and has more functionality than the other players.

It's funny to see how all the other MP3 players are copying the iPod's touch wheel, but are trying to make it seem original by making it into balls/wheels/vertical-pads.

Also, those players are relatively new, their support may be horrible, etc. But people have heard about how great the iPod is in terms of iTunes, support, how it just works, etc.

Reasons why the iPod will always be the best digital jukebox on the market.
QUOTE Thanks
NightCrawler

NightCrawler is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen

they all seem nice...

but NOTHING beat the iPod.... it has design, style and well..... lets just face it..... its the besterest!!!!

Quote:
- It's like - he was got - they'd just like. It was like so hush hush. They were so... quiet about it. And then the next thing you know...
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I guess they can't use the same touch-scroll wheel design (or the new click wheel design) because it's patented by apple?

But they need to prove how hi-tech and easy to use their designs are, so they make a cheap rip off of it anyway...
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

As long as they keep copying Apple's design, they'll always be a step behind and feel 'fake'. It's just like all the Aqua skins for Windows.

What they have to do is *surpass* the design with something new and unique... and that hasn't happened yet. Until then, all these "killers" everyone keeps harping on about are just cheaper imitations. They only hope to kill because of the price, but they forget about the quality...
QUOTE Thanks
Mojo027

Mojo027 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9

I still haven't seen one that I like as much as the Apple iPod (3G or 4G).
Those Zen micros are all right. But it's still way too much money for only 5gb. You can pay a bit more and get a 20gb 4G iPod. Plus the thickness of the 4G iPod is awesome. It kills the competition.
QUOTE Thanks
CaptainMack

ya. they will never have the brand name that apple has created. apple IS mp3 player and noone else is
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I predict these will have the same degree of success as "iPod Killers" like the original Dell DJ and the Sony Network Walkman.

iPod is a force unto itself now. It's like Coca-Cola: You buy it because it's what it is. There are dozens of competitors, but most people never even think of it. It's not logical, it's instinctual. (That's not to say that iPod does not have real advantages over its competitors, but iPod's phenomenal succes speaks to more that that, I think.)
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyluu

johnnyluu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook

...but they ain't iPods! ^_^

I say, "Unless it causes death, it's not a problem!".
http://johnny.persistentperil.net
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Quote:
iPod is a force unto itself now. It's like Coca-Cola: You buy it because it's what it is. There are dozens of competitors, but most people never even think of it. It's not logical, it's instinctual. (That's not to say that iPod does not have real advantages over its competitors, but iPod's phenomenal succes speaks to more that that, I think.)
Agreed. Especially over the Coke part. I buy Coke over Pepsi not because it tastes better (even though it does), but because it's Coke, not Pepsi. Very true, man!

How long do you guys think the iPod will last until somebody actually invents a product? I say about 100-120 years...
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

http://oakley.com/catalog/eyewear/thump/

that is pretty sweet

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Quote:
that is pretty sweet
Agreed. It's almost cooler than the iPod! If the price was only less than $500 and it came with over 256MB, it would probably outsell the iPod.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ipod won't mount but charges on G5 and powerbook G4 | format an iPod ('caus it doesn't work anymore) »