New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - Blocking certain phone numbers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OUinLA

OUinLA is on a distinguished road

Can you block certain people/phone numbers on the iphone? I just got an iphone and now this certain person's number isn't blocked anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Haven't seen a way to do it.
Not one shown in the "iPhone:The Missing Manual" either.

Give Apple or AT&T a call. Meantime, set their ringtone different from everyone else's. That way you won't even have to look at the phone to know who it is.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

There are third party apps that let you block individual numbers for Windows Mobile. I haven't seen one in Installer.app for the iPhone, but perhaps we might see something with the release of the SDK.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
OUinLA

OUinLA is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I talked to AT&T and they can't even block single numbers. They can block all incoming calls though. A lot of use a cell phone would be if you couldn't receive any calls, lol.

Hopefully Apple adds something in a future release that lets you block certain people. Phone calls 24 hours a day can be pretty annoying.
QUOTE Thanks
savagehenry

savagehenry will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Powerbook G4, iPhone

Record 30 seconds of silence in Garage Band and make that your custom ringtone.... Might help for now.
QUOTE Thanks
A15P

A15P is on a distinguished road

No wireless carrier has the ability to block individual numbers from calling you or texting you. You can either block all calls or texts or none at all
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry View Post
Record 30 seconds of silence in Garage Band and make that your custom ringtone.... Might help for now.
Great solution there.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MattGTO

MattGTO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry View Post
Good idea!

Hey Bob, what part of Dallas are you in?
QUOTE Thanks
taxedtohell

taxedtohell is on a distinguished road

(877) 944-2706 has called me 6 times in the last 24 hours, even though I am registered on the "Do Not Call" list. They ring my iPhone, then they hang up on me.

Do I get charged for this? Does this dig into my available minutes?

Is this a service from AT&T that is not connecting to me for some reason? I tried searching this number in Google, and elsewhere, and have found no info as to who this caller is.

Does anyone else have this problem too?

What are my options?

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

If you Jailbreak your phone, there are Apps that will do it. Not worth it IMHO though.

QUOTE Thanks
jpark325

jpark325 is an unknown at this point

MM this sounds like a problem, what happend if a friend just kept calling you repeatedly?
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

MCleaner for jailbroken iPhones works quite well. I think the trial period was 14 days, after that it was $12 to buy, has many options as well as scheduling, blacklist/whitelist and how to deny blacklisted calls (hang up, answer & hangup, send to voicemail, etc)
MCleaner/mCoolPhone/mAdvLock/mCallShow/mSecret/mCallerID——iPhone Software
QUOTE Thanks
james515

james515 is an unknown at this point

AT&T does offer a solution, but its $5 a month, Called Smart Limits. We had to add it to my wifes iPhone account to block some people from calling 5 or 6 times aday.

AT&T Smart Limits for Wireless | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular
QUOTE Thanks
Rick88

Rick88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUinLA View Post
Thanks. I talked to AT&T and they can't even block single numbers. They can block all incoming calls though. A lot of use a cell phone would be if you couldn't receive any calls, lol.

Hopefully Apple adds something in a future release that lets you block certain people. Phone calls 24 hours a day can be pretty annoying.
Problem is Apple being teamed up with AT&T. It's been awhile since this post but is there an app to block numbers now? Let's face it, blocking all incoming isn't going to work for anyone.

RS
QUOTE Thanks
merryone

merryone is on a distinguished road

Reference Savagehenry's solution: Make a contact named "unknown" as new contact. Plug in all the numbers that have been annoying you. Set the ringtone to your "silent clip" ringtone made in GarageBand. Voila! Lengthy workaround, but it works - and it's free!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes Wifi Sync | interferance? »