New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPod Touch - iPhone/iTouch: Two thumbs or one?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikepugs

mikepugs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard

I haven't tried this in mail yet but i know in safari when you flip to horizontal view more spread out keyboard is laid accross the bottom so if you hold the device with two hands you cam type very quickly with btoh thumbs. Am i the only one whp does this?

I can see this being a big help writing emails, as it's much easier and faster to type than using one thumb on the smaller keyboard.

Has anyone been able to use the wide keyboard in mail? I dont compose a lot of emails so I havent gotten the chance.

I sometimes use the little keyboard where i'm not writing a whole message like here, (this was all on my touch) with my indexfinger but it always takes forever.

l 8GB iPhone 3G l 15" Macbook Pro l Powerbook G4 15" l 8GB iPod Touch l 4GB iPod Mini l
QUOTE Thanks
EuphLlama

EuphLlama is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch

I have always used my index fingers. I lie the device down or hold it in my left hand and use the index fingers just like I mainly use on a regular key board. I find it a lot easier to use than using thumbs.

Computer & TV: MacBook Pro 15-inch, Intel 2.2. iMac 20-inch, Intel 2.4. AppleTV 40G
iPod: Nano black 4G, Touch 8G
Phone: iPhone 4G
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

i use two thumbs when typing an email. once you get a hang of the keyboard with two thumbs you will be amazed at how easy it is to type an email in narrow view.

As of now the mail program only supports the narrow keyboard. If you use a website for your email then you can type an email using the wide screen keyboard
QUOTE Thanks
iLindzo

iLindzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads

If I have two hands and a lot to write, I use 'em both. If I only have one hand, I either a) lay it down and use my pointer finger, or b) use my thumb.

I find it to be really easy to type on and I love getting the comments like "How do you do that so fast?!"

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at their computers.
QUOTE Thanks
EuphLlama

EuphLlama is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLindzo View Post
I find it to be really easy to type on and I love getting the comments like "How do you do that so fast?!"
I love getting comments like that. It just makes you to want to keep typing, but then you run out. Then it sometimes lags and you keep typing and there is just a burst of letters all of a sudden. That's always cool.

Computer & TV: MacBook Pro 15-inch, Intel 2.2. iMac 20-inch, Intel 2.4. AppleTV 40G
iPod: Nano black 4G, Touch 8G
Phone: iPhone 4G
QUOTE Thanks
iLindzo

iLindzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuphLlama View Post
I love getting comments like that. It just makes you to want to keep typing, but then you run out. Then it sometimes lags and you keep typing and there is just a burst of letters all of a sudden. That's always cool.
Yeah... I'm a BIG texter. Gradually added more and more to my plan until I finally got unlt'd because I was going over so often. And especially now that I not only text but have IM forwarding set up.

IM forwarding on the iPhone is cool because it already looks like iChat, so it's like a normal conversation on your computer... just compacted.

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at their computers.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I switch between one and two thumbs depending on my situation. If I need to quickly fire off a text message, I'll generally use one hand. Otherwise I have no problem using both thumbs on the smaller keyboard. I can type very fast now that the phone has adapter to my thumb size.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
proxy

proxy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb

i find my self using to thumbs when i am stat down but most of the time go with an index finger tbh i havent found a natural way to type on the keypad but switching between an index finger and 1 or 2 thumbs seams to do the job.
QUOTE Thanks
Corrosive

Corrosive is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Retina

2 when possible, which is almost always.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« dropping an iPhone | Please Help...! »