New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - 1.1.2 just junk?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

since updating to 1.1.2, ive had so many "home screen exits" its not even funny.

mostly with safari, mail, and the weather app, even with the settings menu.

ive tried a lot, and frankly am growing tired of all the bugs in 1.1.2.

ive reinstalled 1.1.2 a few times. even tried to go back to 1.1.1, no go. just a note, the crashes happen on both wifi, and edge, and in all sorts of locations.

also seems harder, or even broken, to get the iphone to restore software ALWAYS 1611 errors

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Downgrading to 1.1.1 isn't as simple as manually selecting the firmware and restoring. I can't give you details as it is against forum rules to discuss, but if you do a Google search for downgrading from 1.1.2 to 1.1.1 you will find plenty of guides that work.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

i just want the thing to work. i dont understand, sometimes it works well, others, it seems to crash to home screen every second i use it.

the only thing that allows me to restore 1.1.2 to it is to uninstall itunes, reboot, install itunes, and plug it in via recovery mode. Ive done this several times today. the first time it restored, it said my SIM was junked, i thought yea right. it finally activated, and all the graphics were bouncing all over the place. like weird, "wrong resolution" four spaces stuff, very odd. kinda like when an old crt monitor is on a bad resolution, and it flickers in paritions on the screen. i tturned the phone off, then back on it went away, the crashing was still there however.

round two now, lets see how this restore has gone. Ive never used anything but itunes to work on the iphone, but im afraid apple will just not see my stuff as problems if i take it in there, or itll work 100% fine then.

here we go again... this screenshot, and then it activates minutes later.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (59.9 KB, 45 views)

QUOTE Thanks
I Can Has Mac!

I Can Has Mac! is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)

theres a new update on jan.1 read my thread im sure all bug fixes will be addressed

Not a fanboy just enlightened.
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

Yes Im hoping so too. 1.1.2 is very very buggy. Mine crashes all the time "home screen exits" I guess you could say. It also doesn't answer or really dial out a lot of calls, just clicks as if it were answering or clicks as if connecting but you cant hear anything and they cant hear you. Have to reboot it all the time to make those things quit happening. Works for a day or two then they show back up. Of course the previous update was also buggy too. When I would come out of the subway it would never restore connection to ATT without rebooting. 1.1.2 fixed that bug, but intriduced others. The original 1.0 or whatever it was called was the only non-buggy one the phone ever had. In addition to fixing bugs Im hoping for something fun and useful like A2DP or whatever its called for bluetooth stereo headphone capability but doubtful we will get it.
QUOTE Thanks
CL33Zero

CL33Zero is a jewel in the roughCL33Zero is a jewel in the rough

home screen exits suck....
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

last night, i wouldnt even be able to make changes in the "settings" menu. i would click a sub menu, like brightness, or mail, and it would just exit.

rather annoying when you type in all your new mail account info, and BAM, hello HOME.

today, it didnt do it. Now how the heck am i supposed to show this to apple? I mean if it does it when it wants. Im hoping its just software issues, and i dont have any HW problems. But who knows. THe only thing i can base my ideas on is, the phone worked great at one point, and now does not.

very unhappy. i got to the point last night where i put the phone down, and stop configuring it. i got my contacts on it, and left it be.

QUOTE Thanks
I Can Has Mac!

this may sound stupid but some peoples home buttons stick could this be a part of it like maybe a short idk. because the new ihpone i got last week with 1.1.2 has absolutely no problems with crashing or unwanted operation.( dont be mean about the button comment im j/w)

[edit]

oh this may be another stupid idea but what if you download the latest 1.1.2 and do a reset and use the shift method to select the one you downloaded :/

QUOTE Thanks
Audiochris

Audiochris is on a distinguished road

I was having the same issues and they occurred with every update since 1.0.2 not just the current. After speaking with an Apple Genius, I came up with this strategy and it's worked perfectly.

1. Sync the phone with iTunes
2. Restore the phone erasing the entire contents
3. After the phone reappears in iTunes, set it up as a new phone (do not restore from the backup)
4. Now sync the phone.

You will lose your saved text messages and you'll have to so through and redo your settings the way you like. This will keep your phone from crashing to the home screen though. It was explained to me that it's a combination of permissions that need to be repaired and preference files left over from 1.0.2 which was almost a completely different implementation of the os.

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
CL33Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Can Has Mac! View Post
this may sound stupid but some peoples home buttons stick could this be a part of it like maybe a short idk. because the new ihpone i got last week with 1.1.2 has absolutely no problems with crashing or unwanted operation.( dont be mean about the button comment im j/w)

[edit]

oh this may be another stupid idea but what if you download the latest 1.1.2 and do a reset and use the shift method to select the one you downloaded :/
I just got my iPhone on thursday, and everything that has been discribed in this thread has been happening to me nonstop. I like everything about the phone other than the fact that every min I'm online with it it crashes and I have to reload the page all over again. It happens while using edge, wifi, in maps, safari, pretty much anywhere. At any given moment it will just bring up thehome screen. I thought it was broken until I read the threads about it. Its really the only dissapointment about the phone I have
QUOTE Thanks
EuphLlama

EuphLlama is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch

It only does it when i'm trying to view a large website. And what's worse is it only happens when you least expect it and when you need it the most.

Computer & TV: MacBook Pro 15-inch, Intel 2.2. iMac 20-inch, Intel 2.4. AppleTV 40G
iPod: Nano black 4G, Touch 8G
Phone: iPhone 4G
QUOTE Thanks
I Can Has Mac!

my biggest dissapoint is since i got mine friday i have yet to find a wifi location that works for me ( good thing at&t is stong where i live)

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Man, I feel so much better about sticking with 1.1.1. I'll get a Safari crash maybe once a week, sometimes once every two weeks. It's so rare that I know that I must have done something stupid to cause it, like view too many pages at once or go to a site with bad coding. Either that or one of my third-party apps caused an instability.

I feel so sorry for you guys. The iPhone is a great device and you guys shouldn't have to suffer through bugs.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
CL33Zero

Yea really. What's worse is i have to retype all my passwords in the websites that require them. So imagine having to log in every two mins. Gets old
QUOTE Thanks
OneWorld22

OneWorld22 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20in 2.0GHZ Intel Core Duo 2GB Ram

God that's shocking. Seems a lot of people are having issues.

I too am sticking with 1.1.1, touch wood, have no issues whatsover. Come on Apple sort out these problems for your loyal customers!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« contacts to iphone | buying an iphone »