New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - Was at the Apple Store yesterday

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac747

mac747 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD

While I was getting my new macbook a guy came in and said "I'd like to get an iPhone". He was CLEARLY not going to be reselling it, etc. So he pulled out cash and the guy at the counter said "you need a credit card". The guy was puzzled and couldn't figure out why his LEGAL TENDER wasn't good enough for the phone...

It was sad cause the guy was turned away and left without his phone. Can you imagine how psyched he was if he was saving for the phone and after a couple months he was all set then gets turned away cause he saved up his CASH!?

T
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

He can go to a bank and get a pre-paid Visa or Mastercard to purchase the phone. Apple made a decision to only accept credit cards for the iPhone.

Honestly, I doubt Apple is losing many sales because they won't take cash.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
jc1350

jc1350 will become famous soon enough

I don't care for this particular policy. There are plenty of people who prefer to pay cash simply because they don't want a credit card. Following Schweb's advice is a pain in the DANCING PONIES when someone already went to the store to buy a product.

If Apple wants to battle those who are reselling them or hacking them, that's fine. But don't punish everyone for it.

Are the ATT stores forced to abandon cash as well or is this strictly an Apple Store policy?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, I have no pity for people in this modern age who don't have a credit card. At the very least anyone with a checking account has a debit card.

There's no excuse to "have" to pay with cash.

QUOTE Thanks
boneheadz

boneheadz will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac

The crap that apple is pulling with this iphone is actually making me sick. I joined the "cult" a couple years ago and I love their products and the company. But I am really close to selling off all of my apple stuff (no I really wouldn't but almost) From a BS end user agreement to this. Unlocking phones is not illegal and neither is buying with cash. I just don't get it, you don't see Sony or Motorola playing these games. I am starting to wonder if Steve Jobs was replaced by a robot Bill Gates.

Oh, and yes you can get a pre paid visa and at least here they cost a percent or two. And no Apple isn't losing much business but like my corner store that charges a quarter to used debt cards it is just bad business.
QUOTE Thanks
boneheadz

boneheadz will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
I'm sorry, I have no pity for people in this modern age who don't have a credit card. At the very least anyone with a checking account has a debit card.

My god! I can't not believe you actually said that! We are all entitled to our opinions but I don't think I could disagree more.

Why should someone have to pay more just to pay? Credit cards and debit cards come with bank fees. Even if you pay it off right away, there is a fee.
QUOTE Thanks
jc1350

jc1350 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

There's not excuse to require someone to open a line of credit he/she does not want just to buy a phone. Nor is it good customer service to tell someone "Sorry, you have to leave this store, travel to your bank, purchase a prepaid card that you didn't want, travel back, then we will allow you the honor of buying our product."
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

I don't agree with how Apple is handling this, but your going to need some type of credit to open an cell phone account anyways.

I had no credit and wanted to open an Sprint Nextel account but they were going to charge me a $200 fee because I didn't have a credit card and didn't have an established credit.
QUOTE Thanks
Sobe

Sobe will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4

They chose to not accept cash for a reason.

It's not like they're saying you CANNOT have the iPhone, they're just saying you have to use a DIFFERENT form of payment.

I don't support candidates that will say anything to be elected, and avoid answering questions like the plague.
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

Quote:
There's not excuse to require someone to open a line of credit he/she does not want just to buy a phone.
To open a contract for this phone (and ANY phone for that matter), you need credit. What's the difference if it's enforced upon phone purchase or upon plan purchase?

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

My card with my bank (Both ATM and Visa) has no charges connected with it. I never pay a cent.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
My card with my bank (Both ATM and Visa) has no charges connected with it. I never pay a cent.
Same here. And like others said, if you don't have a credit card, then have fun with your new brick because you'll need a card to get an AT&T contract.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

While I understand both sides of this.....

And I have my debit card and a couple of credit cards....

This is the first in the next step of no one being able to purchase anything without a number.....

Not a good sign as far as I'm concerned.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:

I think it's more about principle, Schweb. This is America. I have legal tender and I should have the right and freedom of choice to decide how I want to make a purchase. Telling people how they have to do thing for real good reason is ridiculous opressive crap.

And trying to deter resellers is not any excuse for this policy. I can think of ten easy ways to get around this policy and I'm sure other people smarter than me can think of even more.

I have to agree with whoever made the comment about Jobs being replaced with a Gates robot. Some of the things they've pulled with this phone have been bad enough, such as the non-replacable battery and muscling more money out of AT&T so they can't offer the phone at a cheaper price with contract. No other cell phone manufacturers would dream of trying these stunts. Honestly, if reselling and unlocking is that big of an issue, Apple should be looking on this as a signal that their business decisions have not been very good and try to make changes for the better.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadz View Post
My god! I can't not believe you actually said that! We are all entitled to our opinions but I don't think I could disagree more.

Why should someone have to pay more just to pay? Credit cards and debit cards come with bank fees. Even if you pay it off right away, there is a fee.
Well believe it because I said it and I'd say it again.

Second, I have 3 credit cards and a debit card. I pay the credit cards off each month and rarely if ever use my debit card. However I don't get charged any fees for using any of them so I'm not sure where you're banking but you need to switch.

So you are wrong. I would venture to say 99% of people do not get charged to use their debit card and 99.9% of people are not charged a fee for paying their credit card off each month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1350 View Post
There's not excuse to require someone to open a line of credit he/she does not want just to buy a phone. Nor is it good customer service to tell someone "Sorry, you have to leave this store, travel to your bank, purchase a prepaid card that you didn't want, travel back, then we will allow you the honor of buying our product."
You don't need to open a line of credit. You can use a debit card from a checking account. Or you can purchase a pre-paid Visa/MasterCard/Amex.

Personally I have no pitty for people who have neither a credit card nor a debit card. I fail to see how you can function efficiently in the modern world without at least one of those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
To open a contract for this phone (and ANY phone for that matter), you need credit. What's the difference if it's enforced upon phone purchase or upon plan purchase?
Excellent point. AFAIK the iPhone isn't offered on a prepaid plan, hence you need credit to open the account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
I think it's more about principle, Schweb. This is America. I have legal tender and I should have the right and freedom of choice to decide how I want to make a purchase. Telling people how they have to do thing for real good reason is ridiculous opressive crap.
So we should have rights but a private business should not have rights to decide how to run their business?

BTW, you may want listen to this podcast which directly involves Apple's decision and your legal right to use cash as "legal tender". I believe you'll find it enlightening.

The market will let Apple know if this was a bad decision, the government shouldn't. And I'm willing to bet you that the majority of the market won't care.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just left Cingular | i cant setup my voicemail!!! »