New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - IPhone vs Ipod Touch?? or both

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ensyed

ensyed is on a distinguished road

I am in London where the IPhone is coming on Nov 9th. I am sure many of you have considered IPhone vs an IPod touch + Cell phone. Can anyone tell me the pros/cons?

I see the ability to connect to the net anytime via the IPhone to be a big +

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
alaceo

alaceo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" 2.0GHz C2D iMac, 2.5GB RAM || 2GHz C2D Macbook White, 2GB RAM || PowerMac G4 533MHz, 1GB RAM

I personally took the iPod touch & cell phone route because I really can't afford the 80 per month and verizon dominates in my area. Quite honestly I wish I could. I love my iTouch and really wish I could use it for all my texting, calendar entries ( thank you google calendar ), and everything else. I even use an enV to do all that but after using the touch so often my phone just feels clunky. I'm actually typing this post from my touch. Either way, the buy is well worth it.
QUOTE Thanks
EasternCanuck

EasternCanuck is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac

Has anyone tried unlocking the Touch? Seems to be getting easier.
QUOTE Thanks
Bruki

Bruki will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone

I personally wouldn't get either at this stage as their both 1st Gen.

I think within 6 months to a year you'll see much improved 2nd Gen versions of both.

The storage on the touch is just too small for the price considering you can get 10 times the storage with an ipod classic for £50 less than the lowest model touch.

with the iphone i've not used one but I understand the camera is a bit shoddy but more importantly its not 3G which means when using the internet outside a wi-fi area it wouldn't be good so some of the features like safari, wi-fi itunes & mail would be a bit useless.

Saying all that I'm not sure i'll be able to resist buying one come november 9th!
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I wrestled with this dilema for some time myself - iPod Touch or iPhone. In the end, I went for the iPhone. In my case, it ultimately came down to the fact that I was in the market for a new smart phone at the same time as I was getting really frustrated with the 4 GB limit of my existing iPod Nano. The iPhone was a tidy all-in-one solution to both problems.

Having had the iPhone for a few weeks now, I am sure that I made the right decision. The addition of the phone and camera capabilities is a REAL value add that you will appreciate. The iPhone is the best cell phone I have ever used, bar none.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

If you have no issue going with AT&T's network and plans, then I think iPhone is the better choice.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
ArmyChief

ArmyChief will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive

I just bought an iPod Touch for my son...of course, I might end up keeping it! I thought it was "an iPhone without the phone" as that has been said many times. It is not. As I was setting it up and describing it to my son over the phone, he was quite disappointed it does not have a built in speaker, like the iPhone. You also can't take notes or add calendar entries on the iPod itself. (No big deal to me). No dedicated email or texting (you can use webmail over wifi).

Here is an excellent review of the Touch and how it compares to an iPhone: review at appleinsider.

I will say I am very impressed with the Touch. It is an awesome iPod. The Wi-Fi is a huge bonus. The widescreen is nice for videos. The interface is slick. It is super thin!

As far as which one to get....Do you have a current cell phone? With a contract? If I needed a phone, I would get the iPhone, since the Touch and the iPhone capacity are the same. If I already had a phone with service I liked, I would get the Touch.

Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
MrKeyserSoze

MrKeyserSoze is on a distinguished road

For me, it was a no-brainer - but then I'm a cheapskate. There is no way I'd spend 250 or whatever it is for an iphone and then at least 35 per month to use it on an 18 month contract - I mean that's almost a grand on what is essentially a phone (assuming you don't go over the text/minutes) with a small ipod attached. No 3G to me seems like a big step-back (and, as such, is no way the Jesus-phone that everyone keeps calling it). And my final issue is that I like being able to send a text message quickly using one hand under the table whilst pretending to listen to someone - typing text messages on the iphone (if it is like typing on the ipod touch) would be a laborious process and no amount of practice could surely make it as quick as a regular phone.

I would (cause I have) get a decent contract (I recommend 3) normal phone and the ipod touch.
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

I can't get an Iphone where I am, so it's maybe not the most objective answer, but the touch and a cellphone works fine for me.

There are ways of getting around the lack of email function on the touch, but even then you're still limited by it being just Wi-fi - I assume the Iphone has gprs / edge so can grab mail at any time?

Maybe the Iphone wins as it's one less gadget (albeit a slightly bigger one) to carry, but touch+small cellphone is perfectly acceptable for me.
QUOTE Thanks
drgrafix

drgrafix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

I bought my wife the iTouch last night along with the Bose dock. We loaded some songs and oh-yeah... it sounds great. Two things I'd note that maybe I don't know the answer to. One is that the Bose doesn't have a iTouch specific dock saddle so the fit is really all based on the connector... and that could be problematic with something you will continue to poke on axis. The other thing is that the Bose remote doesn't seem to control anything but the volume. You cannot shut the system or iTouch down with the remote. The only way I could shut it down was pull the iTouch off and tap the black utton on the top edge. The remote will not skip to the end of the music clip either.

Is this me missing something or are all these real issues? And yes, this is one pretty incredible piece of hardware.

Doc

Without Curiosity, Intelligence Is Nonexistent
Aging Grandpa drives a Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning & Mini Cooper-S Turbo
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

I hate cell phones.

I have a 1st gen iPod shuffle and a 2nd gen iPod nano. Previously I had a Sanyo flip phone on Sprint that worked just fine. I could make calls with it, and it worked on both digital and analog networks. It was 3 1/2 years old when last I used it, and it still worked well.

I hate cell phones.

Cell phones are an electronic ball and chain. Still, my Sanyo worked. I did a little travel, and found it very useful to connect to home. I eventually had nearly 100 numbers in it, all manually input with a t9 protocol.

I love my shuffle and nano. Wow, what neat little devices. While the shuffle is cool, the nano is hot. What it can hold is amazing, even at 2G.

When the iPhone was released, I melted and bought a 4G. While it has its annoyances - no voice dialing, no voice memos, virtually impossible to use while driving, that darned "pretty" and stupid recessed headphone plug - I love it. I enjoy using it, and I'm listening to it now.

I took a vacation with it, and did not bring a computer with me. I had access to AT&T's EDGE network wherever I went. I had email and could both read and write messages. I could get weather forecasts, and I had web access. I had a backup camera. I didn't miss my MacBook.

I don't know how the iPod touch is. I played with one for a couple minutes, and it was nice, but a brief encounter is merely that. If I was given the chance to go the iPod touch and cell phone route versus an iPhone, I'd choose the iPhone without a second thought.

I love my iPhone. ^_^

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
ensyed

ensyed is on a distinguished road

I need a new phone that is why I am debating. I just played with an iTouch and and iPhone and Wow I am love with the concept. I guess I will go for the iPhone since I need a new phone anyway. I can always upgrade in 18mths since the contract will be 18mths on O2. Plus I already spend around 50pounds a month on a Vodafone contract.
QUOTE Thanks
moggs

moggs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24

I don't really want an iPod that rings

having said that, if I have to carry a mobile phone around with me, which I do, might as well have that and my mp3 player all in one device... would rather buy the thing on a pay-as-you-go tariff and not be tied into >1000 cost of ownership
QUOTE Thanks
markyeungcy

markyeungcy is on a distinguished road

As far as I have seen, the only draw back for the iPhone is non-3G capable.
Despite the said issue, I dont see a reason why a iPod Touch is comparable to iPhone side by side. iPhone is 5 miles ahead of Touch.

Macbook Pro 15" 2.16GZ 2MB Ram
Macbook 13" 2.16GZ 2MB Ram
QUOTE Thanks
wakton

wakton is on a distinguished road

I was really upset by the headphone jack. I said "Oh Great Apple Wants to Charge For Everything" When I went to the apple store they were charging a killing for the adapter and a case. I then searched and found this company that turned out being great. They have tons of products not shown and I just needed to ask for them to find me a good solution.

http://www.techsourcepro.com/section...item=iP-N07083

http://www.techsourcepro.com/sections/items/?cat=55

I hope this helps you guys...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please Help...! | Maps problem »