New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iMac - Charge iPhone while my iMac gently sleeps?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lips2000

Lips2000 is on a distinguished road

My first post for a trouble-free iMac newbie! Except for the intermittent locking up, it has been flawless.

I have a new aluminum iMac 20" and an iPhone.

I keep seeing/reading that it is possible to charge my iPhone while the iMac is asleep...is this true?

I have my iPhone directly connected to the USB ports on the back and regardless of which port I use, when I sleep my iMac, the iPhone stops charging...

Is there something I should check?

Thanks in advance!

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
Lips2000

Did I stump the panel?

40 views so far and no response.

I hope this is in the right place and that someone can answer the question.

Thanks!

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
kkelly122

kkelly122 is a jewel in the roughkkelly122 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP l iPhone l iPod

it charges it. atleast the ipod does, i would guess it would for a iphone since there is still power coming out of the usb when its asleep.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

It probably would if you had a powered USB hub, but since the computer shuts down when it's asleep, no power, no charge.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Lips2000

Thanks for the replies. Not sure if it is working right but I will keep trying.

Thanks.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
It probably would if you had a powered USB hub, but since the computer shuts down when it's asleep, no power, no charge.
I don't know how relevant this is, but the USB-powered fans on the cooling pad I use on my MBP continue to run after I put it to sleep.

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Not sure if its the same with my MacBook, but it wont charge the iPod while sleeping, in fact is kills the battery instead.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeky1 View Post
I don't know how relevant this is, but the USB-powered fans on the cooling pad I use on my MBP continue to run after I put it to sleep.
Yes, I think there's power to the USB ports while it's asleep as plugging in a device will wake it. That doesn't guarantee the iPhone will charge, however, it might still need a powered hub.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
kao

kao is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, NVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB

I think I remember seeing somewhere that if you use a FireWire 800 cable then you can charge ipods while the computer is in sleep. Might be an idea to look into that? I'm on my iPod touch at the moment so can't really look too much :p
QUOTE Thanks
GeoffreyS

GeoffreyS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4ghz / Lion; MBPro 2009; iPhone 4S; iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lips2000 View Post

I have a new aluminum iMac 20" and an iPhone.

I keep seeing/reading that it is possible to charge my iPhone while the iMac is asleep...is this true?

I have my iPhone directly connected to the USB ports on the back and regardless of which port I use, when I sleep my iMac, the iPhone stops charging...

Mark
I have same set-up - and wondering how you find charging the iPhone from the usb port on the keyboard, if you have the wired version. My new iPhone was charging from it, while iMac is awake, anyway, but just lately it seems not to be able to charge.
I have a powered usb hub hanging off the back, but all the ports are full with scanner, printer, elgato TV, and um,,, other stuff I can't recall without looking .

Is the keyboard USB port powered?
QUOTE Thanks
hexonxonx

hexonxonx will become famous soon enough

I connect my iPhone and then put my iMac to sleep. In the morning, the iPhone or iPod is always charged. It works perfectly.

20" iMac aluminum
13" MBP
3 iPhones
QUOTE Thanks
hexonxonx

hexonxonx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffreyS View Post
I have same set-up - and wondering how you find charging the iPhone from the usb port on the keyboard, if you have the wired version. My new iPhone was charging from it, while iMac is awake, anyway, but just lately it seems not to be able to charge.
I have a powered usb hub hanging off the back, but all the ports are full with scanner, printer, elgato TV, and um,,, other stuff I can't recall without looking .

Is the keyboard USB port powered?
Yes it is powered. I've been using a usb cord attached to the keyboard to sync and charge my iPhone/iPod for many months now.

20" iMac aluminum
13" MBP
3 iPhones
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sometimes I hate technology | Will 'turn by turn' directions ever come to the iPhone 3g? »