New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - WOW! Edge quicker with WiFi off! Just me?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

At work today I went in to Settings and turned off WiFi completely. I was getting tired of the prompt to join the WiFi at work everytime I checked my email (work Wifi doesn't allow personal devices on it). To my surprise, the initial connection to hook up to my .Mac email and URL's with Safari is at least twice as fast as is has been. It use to take at least a minute or more to get connected and then get the "Checking for mail" blurb. Now it's maybe 20 seconds tops. Is it just me? Did AT&T open stuff up today? Did everyone know this already? Whatever the case, I'm keeping WiFi off unless I'm somewhere I can actually log on to the WiFi network.
Dave

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

Doesn't the iPhone try using Wi-Fi if it's turned on and there's a hotspot around? I think that contributes to both the prompts and the lag in connecting to edge, perhaps. I've noticed similar behavior at my work (I can't login to my work's wifi anyway) though not to as an extreme of a degree.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery after update | Problem »