New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - Unlocked iPhone help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slashjunior

slashjunior is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)

My existing phone was giving me grief so I decided to take the plunge. I am already stuck in a contract with T-Mobile (UK) and I don't like O2 anyway and for what I am paying T-Mobile I have a great deal.

All unlocked iPhones in the UK were way too expensive so I brought from the US and it should be here today or tomorrow. All was well until I heard the recent news about Apple potentially bricking the phone. I know they can't do this without making me update the iPhone firmware. I am a bit worried though that the iPhone will automatically update itself when I first plug it in. Does iPhone do this? Or does it give you the option?

Any help would be appreciated. I just spent 200 big ones on this thing. A bit of an expensive paperweight.
QUOTE Thanks
BmwM3AF

BmwM3AF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashjunior View Post
My existing phone was giving me grief so I decided to take the plunge. I am already stuck in a contract with T-Mobile (UK) and I don't like O2 anyway and for what I am paying T-Mobile I have a great deal.

All unlocked iPhones in the UK were way too expensive so I brought from the US and it should be here today or tomorrow. All was well until I heard the recent news about Apple potentially bricking the phone. I know they can't do this without making me update the iPhone firmware. I am a bit worried though that the iPhone will automatically update itself when I first plug it in. Does iPhone do this? Or does it give you the option?

Any help would be appreciated. I just spent 200 big ones on this thing. A bit of an expensive paperweight.

I also have an unlocked iphone. My iphone has relocked itself multiple occasions after trying to install AppInstaller ..but aside from that theres an option where to automatically do updates or not.

You should be good if you just dont lock it again cause restoring it could have an effect on how jailbreak works.
QUOTE Thanks
SpliCer261

SpliCer261 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone

itunes asks for the iphone fireware update before updating, so it's cool

You can choose to not to do it and it should be fine.

This is the site i used to unlock.. it has changed alot because i used the first method that was released and now with the unlock software more simplified the site has changed as well to incorporate it.

http://iphone.unlock.no/#Step4-Insta...orm-the-unlock

BMW, the process i used was to jailbreak the phone, then install AppInstaller, because it had the SSH software so i could connect to the iphone via my mac etc.. Then i unlocked it. No problems

Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing - Solid Snake.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Iskin Revo | iPhone strange charging »