New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - What can't you do with the iPod TOUCH, that you can with the iPhone?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

VocalVirgo

VocalVirgo is on a distinguished road

I understand that you can view your synced calendar on the Touch, but can't edit it? Is there anything else you can't do? Can you use the safari browser to run things like IM chats (meebo or any individual chats i.e Yahoo or AIM)? Can you check your Gmail through the Safari browser? And you only have web access in hotspots or someone's wi-fi network, right? You don't get service from AT&T's cell tower or anything like that? But I'm assuming if you have T-Mo's or AT&T's HotSpot accounts you can just log in from there?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just wanna see what the differences are before I buy. Thanks guys!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Looks like you pretty much covered everything. The only thing you missed is that, as of right now, you can't add third-party apps to the touch like you can with the iPhone.

Also, the touch doesn't have a speaker or physical volume controls like the iPhone.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
VocalVirgo

I understand about the speaker.... but isn't the volume on both the iPhone and Touch a bar that you slide while in any given application?

MacBook, Black, 2.0 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 120GB HD. iPod Shuffle, and maybe a new iPod Touch .
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

Yes, you can use the on-screen slider to adjust the volume on both devices, but the iPhone has physical buttons that allow you to do the same thing when playing music (when you're not playing music, it simply adjusts the ringer volume).

So if your iPhone is in your pocket, you can lower the volume without having to take it out and look at the screen. With the touch, you have to pull it out and change the volume through the screen.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
VocalVirgo

Thank You, Kash... you Rock. I got better answers from you then the guy at the Apple Store today. Much appreciated.

MacBook, Black, 2.0 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 120GB HD. iPod Shuffle, and maybe a new iPod Touch .
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

Make calls.
QUOTE Thanks
macjuicy23

macjuicy23 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3

Make Calls
Go Online without any Wifi Service
Stock Watch
Weather
SMS anytime without beejive
Camera
70.00 - 100.00 Montly Bill

I can go on and on..... LOL
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

-Enter notes
-Use bluetooth headsets/headphones

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
Andry

Andry is on a distinguished road

You've got to be kidding right? The only reason why I ordered one of these iPod touch is because I can view and EDIT my synced iCal. I even went out to the store to look at it and ask one of the apple guys to make sure. Of course, dummy me didn't try to add something to the calendar while I was there. I trusted what the guy was telling me. Mine was shipped today from the apple store.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andry View Post
You've got to be kidding right? The only reason why I ordered one of these iPod touch is because I can view and EDIT my synced iCal. I even went out to the store to look at it and ask one of the apple guys to make sure. Of course, dummy me didn't try to add something to the calendar while I was there. I trusted what the guy was telling me. Mine was shipped today from the apple store.
Umm, why didn't you try it out on your own?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
AndrewAZ

AndrewAZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalVirgo View Post
I understand that you can view your synced calendar on the Touch, but can't edit it? Is there anything else you can't do? Can you use the safari browser to run things like IM chats (meebo or any individual chats i.e Yahoo or AIM)? Can you check your Gmail through the Safari browser? And you only have web access in hotspots or someone's wi-fi network, right? You don't get service from AT&T's cell tower or anything like that? But I'm assuming if you have T-Mo's or AT&T's HotSpot accounts you can just log in from there?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just wanna see what the differences are before I buy. Thanks guys!
No bluetooth
No Camera
No side volume key
No external speakers

For me the big chosing point between getting a touch and hacking an iphone was the price.. You pay a lot for the touch and it lacks the 4 major things above, so I felt the iphone was a better buy.. Mostly because I have a blackberry and it doesnt have a camera and I really wanted a camera.
QUOTE Thanks
SurfWax88

SurfWax88 is on a distinguished road

There is also no Google Maps app, very unfortunate for city dwellers. You can probably use Google Maps through Safari, but its not gonna be the same.

Do you bite your thumb at me sir?
iMac, Macbook 2.1 GHz, iPhone 2G, iPod 30gig, what else for me to buy?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« safari | 1.1.1 finally here: article link »