New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - iPhone strange charging

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lakecoast

lakecoast is on a distinguished road

I got an iPhone sent from the US to Australia a few days ago. It's working great so far but there are some strange.. characteristics.

I had it keypad (I mean, touchscreen) locked and put it in the charger. I wake up in the morning and the battery is still on red. Same result when I plugged it into my laptop. Do I have to unlock it to charge? I assumed not because the lightning symbol appears and everything seems to be in order, except that it doesn't charge. That said, it doesn't die throughout the day however.

Also, when I'm in a program for too long (Google maps, iPod, etc) it automatically goes back to the homepage even if I'm still looking through maps / songs.

The only conclusion I can come to is that I am either doing something wrong or the iPhone is faulty because something was done wrong in the hardware unlocking process?
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

You don't have your computer set to sleep after a while do you? Because it doesn't charge when the computer's asleep.
QUOTE Thanks
millsy05

millsy05 is on a distinguished road

you got an iPhone to work in Australia?

How did you do it?

Which carrier are you using?

Macbook (Late 2006 Core 2 Duo), Viewsonic VA1912w screen, Apple Keyboard & bluetooth Mighty mouse, Seagate 320GB USB Drive, Griffin Elevator laptop stand, 30GB iPod Photo, 2nd Gen silver iPod Shuffle 1GB, 8GB iPod touch
QUOTE Thanks
lakecoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohidied View Post
You don't have your computer set to sleep after a while do you? Because it doesn't charge when the computer's asleep.
Yeah I don't I tried it from the power point anyway and even that doesn't work. Not really sure what's up. I guess I can try charging for 24 hours and go crazy if that doesn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
lakecoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsy05 View Post
you got an iPhone to work in Australia?

How did you do it?

Which carrier are you using?
ebay... I didn't do it myself. The guy did a hardware unlock and loaded in the Australia number format for me. He's pretty legit so I'll see what he says about the battery problem.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Would it have to do anything with the fact the power output from wall powerpoints are different in the US when compared to Australia. Maybe a little adapter might fix the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
lakecoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Would it have to do anything with the fact the power output from wall powerpoints are different in the US when compared to Australia. Maybe a little adapter might fix the problem.
Hmm I bought an adapter so as to actually be able to plug it in, but power output? Oh God. I'll do a bit of research. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
lakecoast

How long does it usually take to fully charge the phone?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

A couple of hours from complete drain, less if you have a slight charge. It charges surprisingly quickly

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Huey69

Huey69 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.0 ghz

You said it doesn't die throughout the day...Assuming that, It just sounds like the battery icon is stuck. Have you tried turning the phone off and then back on? I would say try restoring it...but i'm not sure how they would affect the phone as far as being unlocked...
QUOTE Thanks
SpliCer261

SpliCer261 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone

i would suggest a full restore since you say it doesn't die out during the day, so it is charging, just the status being shown isn't accurate.

but, restoring the iPhone would mean you would have to unlock it.. It's easy and doesnt require any hardware tampering

Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing - Solid Snake.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unlocked iPhone help | Just updated to the newest version and now my email accounts don't Work!! »