New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - Confused about unlocks...please help


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
motoo344

 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2007
Location: pa
Posts: 128
motoo344 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz, iPhone 4

motoo344 is offline
My apologies if this has been already discussed. I searched through a few threads but they did not clarify things for me. My ipod has recently broken and my phone is on the way out and since my dads friend is a T-Mobile dealer we support him and his business. So I was thinking of getting an iphone, but my parents dont want us on two plans, which is understandable. So Ive been reading all this information on the unlocks, but it confuses me a bit. I also turned 21 today, so I figured I might treat myself! So here are my questions.

1) This may be dumb, Ive never used AT&T do they use sim cards? So would my T-Mobile sim card fit in the iphone? I believe it would, but I could have misread something.

2) When I order the phone, do I have to get a data plan on T-Mobile, or is the regular plan good to go?

3) How exactly do you unlock the phone? Ive seen different things, people say its easy. I understand you buy the phone, purchase an unlock and then send the company your imei number or whatever it is. Then they send you the program through the wifi and you let it install. There are steps before this though? How do I get around itunes too set up my iphone?

4) People say as long as you dont update your itunes you are fine, some say even if they update, all you need to do is reflash. Is this the case or in the near future? I dont really care about updating my itunes, I never really notice any difference for the most part.

Help would really be appreciate. Ive only had 3 cell phones in the last nine years, some of my friends get one every year, so I figured I have earned this, but I wanna make sure Im not gonna get shafted in the end. I also figure, my ipod broke so getting a phone and ipod would be killing two birds with one stone!

powerbook
QUOTE Thanks
motoo344

 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2007
Location: pa
Posts: 128
motoo344 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz, iPhone 4

motoo344 is offline
Another question, can I just walk into the AT&T store and buy one or do I have to get a plan if I get it right from there.

powerbook
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

 
Dimitri's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 08, 2007
Location: Stillwater, MN
Posts: 634
Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

Dimitri is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoo344 View Post
1) This may be dumb, Ive never used AT&T do they use sim cards? So would my T-Mobile sim card fit in the iphone? I believe it would, but I could have misread something.
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoo344 View Post
2) When I order the phone, do I have to get a data plan on T-Mobile, or is the regular plan good to go?
You don't have to get a T-mobile data plan, but you wouldn't be able to use edge, just wi-fi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoo344 View Post
3) How exactly do you unlock the phone? Ive seen different things, people say its easy. I understand you buy the phone, purchase an unlock and then send the company your imei number or whatever it is. Then they send you the program through the wifi and you let it install. There are steps before this though? How do I get around itunes too set up my iphone?
There are free methods to unlock the iPhones, and several ways to do it. You may want to do a google search to look at your options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoo344 View Post
4) People say as long as you dont update your itunes you are fine, some say even if they update, all you need to do is reflash. Is this the case or in the near future? I dont really care about updating my itunes, I never really notice any difference for the most part.
More importantly, don't update your iPhone software if it's been unlocked, at least until there's been confirmation from the hacking community that you can get around it. This may mean not being able to sync with iTunes in the meantime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoo344 View Post
Another question, can I just walk into the AT&T store and buy one or do I have to get a plan if I get it right from there.
You shouldn't have to activate right from the AT&T store, if you tell them it's a gift for example.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
motoo344

 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2007
Location: pa
Posts: 128
motoo344 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz, iPhone 4

motoo344 is offline
So back to the itunes thing, say I get the phone, plug it in do I have to like have a plan to get my music off of it or will it just sync up? Then after the intial setup, I can unlock it?

powerbook
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

 
Dimitri's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 08, 2007
Location: Stillwater, MN
Posts: 634
Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

Dimitri is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoo344 View Post
So back to the itunes thing, say I get the phone, plug it in do I have to like have a plan to get my music off of it or will it just sync up? Then after the intial setup, I can unlock it?
It won't sync until it's activated. There is a program called iNdependence that can be used to activate the phone (outside of iTunes/AT&T) so that the phone can be used to sync or use wifi. Then you can work towards unlocking it if you want to put it on a different carrier.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
motoo344

 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2007
Location: pa
Posts: 128
motoo344 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz, iPhone 4

motoo344 is offline
Ah, so thats what the indepence program does.

powerbook
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Just got an iphone, Unlocked.. For t-mobile | Credit Question »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
New MacBook; iLife '06 or '08? confused! unlokia Apple Notebooks 3 08-08-2007 10:19 AM
Im confused...please help. iRizzo Schweb's Lounge 13 06-28-2006 02:52 AM
confused about ram (dual g4 1ghz MDD) nutter Apple Desktops 4 09-03-2005 05:59 PM
Mac Got me Confused!! PrintNazi Schweb's Lounge 16 08-09-2005 11:40 PM
iBook or Powerbook.... confused! Joeytpg Switcher Hangout 9 06-23-2004 09:32 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?