New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - iPhone Essentials - what are your "must have" accessories?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

I have an iPhone and really enjoy it. Here are my essential accessories:

1. Spare dock: I keep the original dock hooked up to my computer, but I picked up a spare dock for my bedside hooked into the A/C adapter. I use my iPhone as my morning alarm - wall power plus battery backup!

2. Screen protector: A screen protector is a must. After reading many, many reviews, I finally settled on the Crystal Screen Protector from Power Support. It comes in a 2-pack for about $16. It goes on super-easy and you can't even tell it's there. I've had multiple people ask me why I don't have a screen protector on my iPhone, then I point out the slight lip around the home button and laugh. It has zero effect on the usability of the screen and as an added benefit you can use your shirt to clean it instead of the special microfiber cloth the iPhone comes with.

3. Bluetooth headset: After going through several Bluetooth headsets, I finally settled on the BlueAnt Z9 headset. It's lightyears better than the crappy iPhone Bluetooth Headset and even better than the famous Jawbone. Read my mini-review here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....42405&tstart=0

4. Headphone adapter: Thanks to the wonderfully stupid design of the headset jack, you can't fit 99.9% of existing headphones into the iPhone. So you have to get a retarded little adapter to use with your fancy new super hi-tech $600 smartphone. Bleh. Anyway, I found a great one from Seido for $9 and it comes in black or white. Unlike the Belkin version, it's very flexible. I have a front input jack in my car, headphones, and a stereo adapter that I use it with. Well worth the money to overcome Apple's design flaw. Here's a link:

http://store.myitablet.com/content/a...3-75--2927.htm

5. Car charger: I have two chargers: a regular charger for my car (which has an aux jack for iPhone input) and a charger/FM Transmitter for my wife's car. This way I can charge my iPhone while driving around and also listen to tunes without draining the battery. I use a Griffin car charger and a Kensington FM Transmitter/charger. Just depends on what kind of car stereo you have. If you want to upgrade your car stereo, Crutchfield.com has a ton of great options. I got an Aiwa CD Player receiver with Front Input for $99 or so from them for my car.

You may also want a case, but I've had good luck with the iPhone stock in my front pocket. It's surprisingly durable. I also have an iPod stereo, the Griffin Amplifi, which runs nearly 1/3 the cost of the iPod Hi-fi stereos system at $109:

http://www.erwincomputers.com/1200itspkr.html

So...what are YOUR iPhone essentials?

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
The Applenator

The Applenator is on a distinguished road

The only thing I have bought for my iPhone is the DLO "jam jacket".
I absolutely love it, especially the earbud cord management.

I may consider the the headset you recommend though.
Thanks for the review!

24" Imac 3gb of Ram/ 7600Gt with 256mb grphics card
MacBook Pro 2.13ghz,2gb ram,160gb hd
32gb 3GS iPhone, iPad 32gb Wi-Fi
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

No problem! For cable management, I use a cable turtle. Tons of colors and three different sizes, useful for anything with with a wire thinner than beef jerky:

http://cableorganizer.com/cable-turtle/

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I actually just cut away some of the plastic around my headphone connector instead of getting an adapter. Fits just perfectly and I didn't waste any money.

I could definitely go for another dock and wall charger, so that I can have one both at my desk and next to my bed. If I had a desktop Mac I wouldn't need it.

Oh, and I clean my iPhone's screen with my shirt all the time. You don't need the microfiber cloth (plus, I find that it doesn't really help much)

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« any other earbuds with mic/button? | Yahoo mail has acted weird last few days. wont download mail at all now »