New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - Is there any chance Apple will switch service providers?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bowlman23

bowlman23 is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone,

I want to get an iPhone, but I will not go to AT&T. When is the contract up with them and is there any talk of them moving to another cell provider? Most reviews I've read have said great phone, bad service. I know it depends where you live and all of that, but AT&T kind of sucks for the most part with their slow data network. Has there been any talk of them going elsewhere?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

They have a 5 year exclusive contract with AT&T so maybe after 5 years you can get it with someone else.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
bowlman23

bowlman23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
They have a 5 year exclusive contract with AT&T so maybe after 5 years you can get it with someone else.
5 Years? Holy crap. I really think they could have done better going with another provider. That's a shame. I'll guess I'll have to stick with my crappy Verizon phone.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Unless you've been living under a rock, you should know that unlocks for the iPhone are abundant. If you don't mind T-Mobile and lack of visual voicemail, go for it!

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Which provider would have been better? Verizon? Apple tried that, got turned down since Verizon happens to be a control freak too. T-Mobile? Service is worse than AT&T. Sprint? HA!

If you can't get number 1, you go for number 2, not 3 or 4.

Plus, I don't see why so many people complain about AT&T. I've been with them for 6-7 years now and have had great service. I don't get dropped calls or poor call quality. While EDGE isn't as fast as the 3G network (which I've experienced with the 8525), it isn't as bad as people say it is, especially not after AT&T upgraded EDGE speeds.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I have AT&T also and never really had a problem with it. I thought I was getting more dropped calls when I moved, but I realized it was only when I spoke to one person I know on their cell phone, so I'm pretty sure it's just their phone.

I guess some people have had problems. Until I have them, I'll stay. After 3 years of problem free service, I don't think I have to worry about changing any time soon.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
bigmof

bigmof is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black MacBook with Leopard! YAY!

Speaking of wireless carriers, does anyone know how much it would be to to drop 1 line of a VZW family plan and switch to iPhone while keping the same number?
QUOTE Thanks
BeanieRobert

BeanieRobert is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro

$175. However, if the other person on your family plans contract is over, then that person can take over your contract while you go to AT&T for the iPhone

I'm A Mac. And I Work Better Then A PC.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

wo 5 years is a long contract.
QUOTE Thanks
jdella681@gmail

jdella681@gmail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanieRobert View Post
$175. However, if the other person on your family plans contract is over, then that person can take over your contract while you go to AT&T for the iPhone
it's $175 at worst, but if you purchased your phone after mid-November of 2006 your early termination fee goes down $5/month. Hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Edge speeds are lot faster than everyone makes them out to be. It's certainly a speed I can live with.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« News on the next iPhone? | Screen lock Code »