New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - making the switch, need some insight.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Matthew_love84

Matthew_love84 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g

Well, Iím thinking of doing the switch.

Currently on the t-mobile blackberry network, but am a bit enticed with the iphone due to the simplicity of the phone itself and not only that, being a die hard mac user.. itíll just make life easier .

Anyway. Iím in North County San Diego and I was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up as far as what the coverage may be like with att/cingular in this area. T-mobileís been ok for quite some time, but Iím getting some dead spots.

I have a few questions. I love the wi-fi setup, but how is the email service?

Iím using a Gmail pop3 account, any problems?

Is there an AIM program in the works? Not so important, but itís a nice feature.

Does the email poll every 5, 10, or 15 minutes? Is there any sort of push service offered (probably the only thing Iíll miss with the BB service).

Is it true that while on the EDGE network surfing the net, itís going to re-direct my phone calls to voice mail?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, just thought Iíd try and get some answers

Also, is there anything new in the works thatís being released that I should hold out for?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

To find out service in your area, check out the AT&T coverage map. But to be honest, the best thing to do would be to ask around amongst friends or coworkers who have AT&T and see what sort of reception they get in the area.

The iPhone can handle pretty much any POP3/IMAP email address you can throw at it, and has presets for Yahoo, Gmail, .Mac, and AOL. You can set it to autocheck every 15, 30, and 60 minutes, or you can do so manually. Only Yahoo accounts allow for push email.

There is no official iChat application for the iPhone as of right now, but there are strong indications that you might see one upon the release of Leopard. In the meantime, there are two or three third-party IM apps that do a pretty good job.

I haven't had the redirecting issue, so I can't say with any certainty whether or not that is the case.

There's really no point in waiting for any features unless there is a feature you really need but that the iPhone doesn't currently support. Just get it now and have fun with it. Plus, there are a ton of third party apps available that are ridiculously easy to install (I'm not kidding, it takes like 2 taps of your finger).

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Matthew_love84

thanks for the info! If i was to go into the apple store to pick one up how do I setup my service? If I purchase one on apple.com I didnt see a way to setup cingular service either?

Is it possible to get the 59.99 900 minute plan, unlimited texts (to any carrier), and unlimited data? that'd be about a $99.00 plan correct?
QUOTE Thanks
ibookmobile007

ibookmobile007 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_love84 View Post
thanks for the info! If i was to go into the apple store to pick one up how do I setup my service? If I purchase one on apple.com I didnt see a way to setup cingular service either?

Is it possible to get the 59.99 900 minute plan, unlimited texts (to any carrier), and unlimited data? that'd be about a $99.00 plan correct?
I was able to get unlimited data plan(pre-existing Cingular customer/Rep)for 20.00 bucks w/ 200 text messages.It will give you choices as well.
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

dakineyj will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_love84 View Post

Doesn't matter where you buy it. They just hand you the box then you go home and activate it through iTunes.
QUOTE Thanks
Matthew_love84

well, I MAY just keep my t-mobile service and unlock one of these beasts.

One thing I want to know though, will other apps work on the t-mobile network such as the few AIM programs now available?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iskin | what WON'T work on an unlocked iPhone? »