New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - Should I get an iPhone?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Shannonb

Shannonb has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard

Now I have really hated on the iPhone in the past. REALLY hated on the iphone. But in about a week, my plan is up and I need to get a new phone.

The only phone out right now with the features I want for AT & T are Cingular 8525 and the iPhone. Neither are perfect, but I have run out of options and I really dont want the 8525 because it is a brick.

So really I have two questions:

First, should I get one?

Second, I am on a family plan and no one else in my family will have an iphone, can I just buy it and use it as a phone with wifi and whatnot without buying the data plan or do I absolutely have to get the 20 dollars a month data plan?

Hard decisions made easier with your help. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

i believe if you go with the iphone you wil have to pay the 20 dollar monthly fee
QUOTE Thanks
ibookmobile007

ibookmobile007 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS

That is correct.I already had an existing cingular account and it basically made me choose the 20 dollar extra a month for unlimited data plan and 200 text messages.But its good to have that way you can surf the internet anytime you choose and not pay any extra out of pocket fees.Thus far i love the phone ,although the osx system on the phone is a wee bit tedious to get used to (Coming from all wm phones) but this phone has more functionalities than a little bit!more shortcut and hidden functions.I was torn between purchasing the N95 8GB and the Sony Ericsson W960i(to choose for my next phone)but i chose the iphone.Seeing as its more compatible with a mac.I think future firmware updates will fix minor restrictions on the iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
gomez1018

gomez1018 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram

Im a huge smart phone lover. I got the first palm when it came out and constantly changed to other smart phones.Out of experince the cingular smart phones plain and simple suck in my opinion. I just purchased the iphone and it is amazing. SEcond on my list is palm followed by the black jack and then blackberry. I used my cingular 8525 for like 2 months.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

If you're in a 3G area, wait for 3G. If you're in a decently-populated area, wait for 3G! (carrier and phone)

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Shannonb

Mac Specs: 2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
If you're in a 3G area, wait for 3G. If you're in a decently-populated area, wait for 3G! (carrier and phone)
That is prbably the biggest knock against the iphone. Even the 8525 which came over a year ago has 3g.

I'm still torn. lol
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannonb View Post
Now I have really hated on the iPhone in the past. REALLY hated on the iphone. But in about a week, my plan is up and I need to get a new phone.

The only phone out right now with the features I want for AT & T are Cingular 8525 and the iPhone. Neither are perfect, but I have run out of options and I really dont want the 8525 because it is a brick.

First, should I get one?

Second, I am on a family plan and no one else in my family will have an iphone, can I just buy it and use it as a phone with wifi and whatnot without buying the data plan or do I absolutely have to get the 20 dollars a month data plan?

from readin comments on digg it seem you can just put your sim card in the iphone and use your current plan. you will then be charged your normal data fee by mb or what ever it is....
QUOTE Thanks
ibookmobile007

Quote:
That is prbably the biggest knock against the iphone. Even the 8525 which came over a year ago has 3g.

I'm still torn. lol
Well if you are torn purchase the htc tytn2 it has built in gps and more.I come from a long list of power phones:imate jas jar,imate kjam,htc advantage X7500,Nokia N93,N6682,N6681 just to name a few.But as far as a MORE THAN smartphone/pocket pc,it is more than suffice and smarter than the highprice tags of mobiles that i have owned in previous days.Actually the 2MPX cam is alright in good lighting as i have taken several photos with it(I still own a N93i 3.2 MPX)does take good pictures.The body of the iPhone is well constructed and solid!slim as well.Unlike high end phones,this one you can slip in your pocket with room to spare and then some!~It wont feel like you are lugging a brick in your pocket!
QUOTE Thanks
ibookmobile007

Quote:

I'm still torn. lol
BTW:HTC makes the 8525 (Its just cingular branded!)So if you are going to get the 8525,why not purchase it from high tech computers??
QUOTE Thanks
SpliCer261

SpliCer261 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone

I say go with the iphone

they already released the unlock software which is free! so you can simply buy the iphone without the AT & T contract.. unlock and use whatever sim you want

enable wifi for surfing, mail

There is a strong potential that with the 4gb iphones out of the way and european launch soon, 3G will be on the iphone, plus a 16GB version might come out..so you would have 8gb and 16gb as options

3g in my view is inevitable since europe uses it and apple would incorporate it.. There is an event coming up end of september, i'm sure apple will announce it

Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing - Solid Snake.
QUOTE Thanks
Spartan117

Spartan117 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 13inch white 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM

I debated the iPhone as well. I picked one up and a new MacBook yesterday. Thus far (its only been one day) but I really like the iPhone. My main gripe is that its only 8GB. Even the new touchscreen iPods need more storage for me to buy one.

I may buy a 160GB Classic iPod later. The 3G would be nice but using the internet is not near as slow as I expected. I had a TREO 650 and that thing was really slow.

Sorry for the rant.......

iPhone gets my vote. I paid more for my old Treo and its not half the device the iPhone is. Just my humble opinion.

Best,
Patrick
D/FW, TX
QUOTE Thanks
Shannonb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibookmobile007 View Post
Well if you are torn purchase the htc tytn2 it has built in gps and more.I come from a long list of power phones:imate jas jar,imate kjam,htc advantage X7500,Nokia N93,N6682,N6681 just to name a few.But as far as a MORE THAN smartphone/pocket pc,it is more than suffice and smarter than the highprice tags of mobiles that i have owned in previous days.Actually the 2MPX cam is alright in good lighting as i have taken several photos with it(I still own a N93i 3.2 MPX)does take good pictures.The body of the iPhone is well constructed and solid!slim as well.Unlike high end phones,this one you can slip in your pocket with room to spare and then some!~It wont feel like you are lugging a brick in your pocket!
The Tytn 2 is out of my price range. it's reported to be 500 at launch with 2 year plan and it isnt coming out til october. If it was cheaper I would definitely get it though. GPS, wifi, 3.5g, 3 meg camera. That thing is a monster.
QUOTE Thanks
Shannonb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpliCer261 View Post
I say go with the iphone

they already released the unlock software which is free! so you can simply buy the iphone without the AT & T contract.. unlock and use whatever sim you want

enable wifi for surfing, mail

There is a strong potential that with the 4gb iphones out of the way and european launch soon, 3G will be on the iphone, plus a 16GB version might come out..so you would have 8gb and 16gb as options

3g in my view is inevitable since europe uses it and apple would incorporate it.. There is an event coming up end of september, i'm sure apple will announce it
Do you think I could unlock and then use with AT & T and just use wifi? at my college, basically the entire campus has wifi

Do I even need to unlock it if I'm using it with At & T and wifi?
QUOTE Thanks
diesel828

diesel828 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.

Quote:

First, should I get one?

No one can offer any real help. Everything here is pure speculation and opinion. The main reason is that your question is vague and ambiguous. Should you get an iPhone? I don't know -- should you?

Do you have the financial means and willingness to pay for the phone and the service? Do you need or want the features that it has? Can another phone give you the same thing or better depending on your personal needs? What kind of phone are you coming from and what kind of phone do you need? Do you have an iPod? Can you live with carrying that around and a regular phone along with it? Will it be beneficial for you to have access to the internet while on the go? In terms of price and function comparisons, are there better choices or is the iPhone the best bang-for-the-buck deal for you?

To answer your last and more specific question, you will have to have some kind of data plan when you activate the phone.

2.2GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone 3G
www.myspace.com/callofdoody
QUOTE Thanks
Matthew_love84

Matthew_love84 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g

where does one find this unlocking software for free?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Good iphone video converting software? | Ipod touch AND iphone? »