New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - iPhone - navigation software/bluetooth gps?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

remltr

remltr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac mini 512 1.2 20" cinema

I am on the edge of purchasing an iPhone and have a question about future capabilities.

Will the iPhone ever have the capability to function with a bluetooth gps receiver and run navigation software?

I know it's sounding like I want to turn this into a pda. Well I would. Something along the lines of a Treo, but a Treo that actually works with the great interface that the iPhone has.

That would be a dream for me. Right now I have a video iPod, a cell phone and a Garmin 3600 for the navigation. Would be nice to get it all into one package.

Even if it doesn't - getting it down to 2 devices for me is a step in the right direction.
QUOTE Thanks
wrinkledpants

wrinkledpants is on a distinguished road

Get the iphone, keep the garmin. I could see a bluetooth GPS receiver being able to function with the phone in the future, but with the Google maps that is on it, there isn't a function to use GPS. It doesn't work like google maps on a Treo or WM device. It works MUCH better than regular google maps and you won't be disappointed, though, it's not the google maps on PDA's. I came from a Cingular 8525 so i'm pretty familiar with what you are looking for. I also have a garmin etrex vista that i use for nav and i don't foresee anything in the iphone that will match that in the near future.
QUOTE Thanks
ibookmobile007

ibookmobile007 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS

Actually they are planning built in GPS for the iPhone within the near future(2nd or 3rd quarter of 08)As i have read.Patience.That is all i can say.I just received my iPhone and coming from high end mobiles like Imate JASJAR ,HTC Advantage X7500,Nokia N93 just to name a few i see that it will be in bedded once the kinks are worked out.
QUOTE Thanks
wrinkledpants

wrinkledpants is on a distinguished road

sweet! Is it just going to have a receiver some sort of proprietary navigation software or will it be something like the HTC Kaiser (just the antenna)? Even if 2nd or 3rd quarter 08 is correct, that still too long to wait. Buy it now and enjoy it.
QUOTE Thanks
remltr

remltr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac mini 512 1.2 20" cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkledpants View Post
Buy it now and enjoy it.
I did and I am.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iFuntastic...need some advice! | viewmymessage.com??????? »