New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - My friend wants to buy an iPhone and use it as an iPod Touch ....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse

My friend is in Vancouver, BC and wants to use an iPhone as a Touch until service is made available in Canada. Is this possible without hacking the phone? I've read that people in Toronto have hacked it for use with Rogers, would this be the only way to use it? My friend called Apple and was told that the iPhone will not run at all without activation. I can't believe the thing is a brick unless activated. Anyone got any info on this?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
AnatomyOfARyan

AnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the roughAnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod

theres all kinds of stuff on this on a simple google search.... here is one site i ran across, and yes, i know there are people out there using their iPhone as an ipod touch..

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Mobile-...n-Server.shtml

17" 1.86 mhz iMac Core Duo, 13" 1.86 mhz Core Duo MacBook, 60 gig video iPod (black), 4GB iPhone

www.ryanlukewagner.com
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

With the new SIM hacks, she should be able to use it with Rogers now. People are using it with T-Mobile without any problems (other than lack of visual voicemail of course)

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You can't use any of the iPhone's non-phone features out of the box without activation, but that doesn't mean you physically can't. There are several hacks out there to get the iPhone into thinking it's been activated and use the rest of the features.

Unfortunately, Apple has managed to disable quite a few of these "hacks" with its latest version of iTunes, version 7.4. If you're running an older version, then check out this page and download the program called iActivator. It's a really simple way to use the non-phone functions on the iPhone without having to activate through AT&T

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse

Thanks for the info everyone.

What's the incentive for Apple to prevent people from using an iPhone as an iPod? Why would they care?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Probably has to do with Apple's contract with AT&T

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
savagehenry

savagehenry will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Powerbook G4, iPhone

I don't see why you couldn't activate it and then cancel service right away. Not sure if they'd still sock you for activation fees, though. You could probably weasel out of that with the right set of circumstances (story).

I would think everything in "airplane mode" would still work, and wifi as well.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

You will be fully reimbursed, even activation fees, if you cancel within 3 days. But I think next time you connect to your computer you'll get disabled.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone ran over! CRUNCH! Screen is smashed, what do I do? | Bluetooth »