New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - Engadget answers why Apple is charging for ringtones

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

This has been a big issue since the announcement the other day and Engadget has gotten their legal beagle to help answer some of the questions in this article. Turns out it's not illegal to make your own, which I should have realized since I use a program made by Motorola to make my ringtones and load them up for free.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/07/k...own-ringtones/

Quote:
Well, the RIAA wanted to be able to distribute ringtones of its artists without having to pay them big money to do so (surprised?), and it won a decision last year before the Copyright Office saying that ringtones weren't "derivative works," meaning they didn't infringe on the copyright of the songwriter.

As long as you're talking about music you've ripped from a CD, go ahead -- no one's trying to stop you. Since making a ringtone doesn't count as a derivative work, you're not infringing any copyrights. Just don't sell or distribute anything, and you should be fine.

Judging from the fact that the iTMS EULA prohibits the use of downloaded files as ringtones, we'd say it's more than likely because Apple's contracts with the various labels represented in the iTMS specifically forbid it. We haven't seen them, but we'd bet that ringtones -- and the licenses for using songs as ringtones -- have their own lengthy section in Apple's contracts, and that Apple isn't allowed to sell files for use as ringtones without coughing up more dough. Steve has said as much, after all. Otherwise the selection would include more than just the 500,000 songs you can get right now.
So instead of a copyright issue, it sounds like it's a contractual issue between Apple and the labels. I would have felt better if it was copyright-related. Because it's contractual, it means Apple could flex their iTunes muscles and re-negotiate with the labels to make them free, but as long as Apple is making money from the deal too, I don't think they're going to lift a finger to try to help their faithful consumers in this case.

I really don't understand Apple sometimes. In the case of TV shows, they're going toe-to-toe with the networks to make shows cheaper for consumers. But in this case, which is much more of a harsh blow to consumers by making them pay for music twice, Apple just rolls over! They pat you on the back with one hand, then sucker punch you with the other.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

Let's be fair, though. TV Shows are for everyone, ringtones are for iphone-only customers. Apple doesn't have as much sway with the record labels it seems, as they do the networks. And it's still cheaper than what you get from other ringtone providers and all you get is the clip, not the song and clip.

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I say let the technically inept pay for their ringtones while those of us a bit more tech-savvy can go and make our own ringtones for free

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
I say let the technically inept pay for their ringtones while those of us a bit more tech-savvy can go and make our own ringtones for free
Yup.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
ah, I don't believe in punishing people for being ignorant, and paying 2 times for a song is punishment in my book.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

You softy!

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Hey, now that we know even the technically inept can get their music as ringtones for free by simply changing the suffix of the file, everyone can avoid the double-charge without any problem or $15 software!!

And if you're so inept that you can't even change a file suffix, you don't deserve to have an iPhone or a computer for that matter.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
And if you're so inept that you can't even change a file suffix, you don't deserve to have an iPhone or a computer for that matter.
I dunno about that. You don't exactly need to be very tech-savvy to use an iPhone. Plus, most people will just give you a dumb look if you tell them to change a file extension since they're hidden by default

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Moot point now anyway. iTunes 7.4.1 is already out and blocks the ability to use that free method of changing the filename.

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Ouch! That didn't take long. Steve, you could have at least gave folks the weekend!!

Can't you just not install 7.4.1 and load up some ringtones b/f installing, or will it wipe out what you've done??

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone Wish List...... | Jiving organic web applications »