New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - Ringtones.. boo, boo, BOOOO

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CaptSaltyJack

CaptSaltyJack is on a distinguished road

Am I the only one who feels the ringtone deal is a BAD deal? Just to lay out the facts:

* $0.99 to buy a song on iTunes ($1.29 for DRM free I believe)
* $0.99 to "ringtone-ize" your song to get a clip that's up to 30 seconds

So let's see. An extra buck, the FULL price of a song, just to get a clip.. of a song you already paid for.

Nice one, Apple. Genius. I hope people refuse to go for this, and Apple eventually makes it free. On SEVERAL other cell phones, you can just connect to a computer and drag/drop your own MP3s and use them as ring tones. Why should we pay the song price all over again just to use it as a ring tone?

Oh well, I guess it's "marimba" for me for the time being.

And yes, I could just use the iPhone hacks out there, but I don't want to introduce anything "illegit" to my device.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Yea, I think this is a rip-off. $2.00 for a ringtone is pretty crazy.

This is why I use Audacity to make my own ringtones

It's actually not that hard to add them in. Trust me, it's much better than sticking with the stock ringtones.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
CaptSaltyJack

Right, and there are people who will pay $2 for a ring tone. But in some cases, you're paying for a ringtone of a song you DON'T own. This is $1 for a song you already purchased.

Here's what Apple SHOULD'VE done if they still wanted to make a buck off people and not have ringtones be free: free ringtone conversion for any song in your library (you own it or you ripped it from a CD). If you want a ringtone of a song you DON'T own, you can buy it for $0.19. So, this is not only the cheapest ringtone service out there, but at $0.39, it's a good upsell method because it's fairly close to $0.99.. many people may just want to buy the whole song, then turn it into a ringtone for free.

That's my opinion anyway. This whole business of paying for a ringtone of a song you already own should not be legal.. it seems like a violation of Fair Use laws to me. This is WORSE than DRM. Anyone want to enter a class action lawsuit?
QUOTE Thanks
Brandon

Brandon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook

pretty ridiculous. I even think $0.99 for a low-quality itunes music store track is a rip off.
QUOTE Thanks
Dimitri

Dimitri is a jewel in the roughDimitri is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz

If you don't want to pay $.99 to make a ringtone, can't you make one yourself using a different app? Or does the iPhone not allow custom ringtones?

Portable DAP: iPod nano 4G 8GB (green)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD485, Sennheiser PX-100W
Computer: Aluminum iMac 24" 2.8GHz
Mobile: iPhone 3G 16GB (black)
QUOTE Thanks
CaptSaltyJack

No, you cannot make your own without hacking the iPhone.

EDIT: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/itoner/
Actually.. iToner claims no hacking is necessary. Must check into this.
QUOTE Thanks
Fairly

Fairly has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Apple are very clever. At times they seem very daring but they always get away with it. This is because they gauge their market very carefully.

When they came out with the white Intel MacBook they also introduced a BLACK model which effectively costs $150 just for a different colour coat of paint. Ridiculous? Sure! Did you buy it? You bet!

Same thing here. In a week you'll be talking about all the fantastic ringtones you bought and how Steve Jobs is so wonderful.
QUOTE Thanks
CaptSaltyJack

Uh.. no, I won't be buying ringtones.

And the black MacBook actually has one more difference over the white one: a larger hard drive. I don't know if that was ALWAYS the case, but at least the price increase makes a bit more sense now.
QUOTE Thanks
raptorkid700

raptorkid700 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook

i didnt buy the black macbook, becasue i could get the same options on it. there are no differences
QUOTE Thanks
JRV

JRV will become famous soon enough

Does iToner not work for PC's?
QUOTE Thanks
CaptSaltyJack

Looks like it's for Mac only.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

This is by far the worst deal I've ever seen. This hits so much lower than anything negative people claim towards Microsoft. Apple just climbed in the gutter with this stunt!! Providers like AT&T selling ringtones is different b/c they're not selling you the music too, just a ringtone of a song you may not even own and they have no way of knowing. Even though they're pricing is ridiculous.

I'm not into class-action lawsuits, but I would be all for signing a petition against this deal to send to Apple.

If you buy even one ringtone this way, you are the lowest of the low and can no longer say one bad thing about Microsoft or any other business you claim has shady business practices. This is almost as bad as Apple kicking all those iPhone customers in the *wallet* today by dropping the price by 33 and 40% today. So much bad news in one day that was supposed to be joyful.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
JRV

JRV will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
This is by far the worst deal I've ever seen. This hits so much lower than anything negative people claim towards Microsoft. Apple just climbed in the gutter with this stunt!! Providers like AT&T selling ringtones is different b/c they're not selling you the music too, just a ringtone of a song you may not even own and they have no way of knowing. Even though they're pricing is ridiculous.

I'm not into class-action lawsuits, but I would be all for signing a petition against this deal to send to Apple.

If you buy even one ringtone this way, you are the lowest of the low and can no longer say one bad thing about Microsoft or any other business you claim has shady business practices.
I agree with everything you just said. Unfortunately people will buy the ringtones.
QUOTE Thanks
CaptSaltyJack

The sad thing is, tons of people already buy ringtones at more than $2 with other cell providers. I'm sure there are those out there who will plunk down the $1 to buy a ringtone for a song they already own because "it's just $1."

I won't buy them on principle. There OUGHT to be a class action lawsuit, because I truly think this is a violation of Fair Use law. I pay $1 for a song which is licensed to me to listen to on up to 5 computers. Fine. But I get charged another FULL $1 to make a ringtone out of the song I just bought?? Gimme a break! Maybe $0.10, sure. Maybe $0.20. But the full price of a song?

iToner works great, by the way. It's amazing that it requires no hacks. I put my own mp3 on my iPhone with very little effort. At $15, it's worth it for anyone who likes to change up their ringtones often!
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSaltyJack View Post
The sad thing is, tons of people already buy ringtones at more than $2 with other cell providers. I'm sure there are those out there who will plunk down the $1 to buy a ringtone for a song they already own because "it's just $1."

I won't buy them on principle. There OUGHT to be a class action lawsuit, because I truly think this is a violation of Fair Use law. I pay $1 for a song which is licensed to me to listen to on up to 5 computers. Fine. But I get charged another FULL $1 to make a ringtone out of the song I just bought?? Gimme a break! Maybe $0.10, sure. Maybe $0.20. But the full price of a song?

iToner works great, by the way. It's amazing that it requires no hacks. I put my own mp3 on my iPhone with very little effort. At $15, it's worth it for anyone who likes to change up their ringtones often!
You're probably right. This probably does violate some law. If it doesn't a law should be written to do so.

Anyone remember JFK's Consumer's Bill of Rights? One was the right to safety, meaning not allowing business to force unfair practices on consumers like making them pay twice for the same product.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Pretty Pink Cow Bells! | Serious iPhoners »