New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone - How good is the camera

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OUinLA

OUinLA is on a distinguished road

Is the camera on your iphone any different than other phones in terms of quality? TIA
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

the camera is a 2MP camera, and the photos I've seen from them look pretty good for a camera phone.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I consider it to be quite poor.
Exposure leaves much to be desired as well as focus.
There is no zoom feature (that I've found.)
I definitely wouldn't buy it if you're looking for a phone with a good camera.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
hexonxonx

hexonxonx will become famous soon enough

In terms of quality, I would say it's better than what my Treo 650s camera was. That thing was horrible at focusing.
QUOTE Thanks
Cody

Cody is on a distinguished road

The only complaint that I have- I can't figure out how to get the pictures off the thing....arg
QUOTE Thanks
NolaWegs

NolaWegs will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz CD 2GB RAM; iPhone

The most effective way of getting pictures off the iPhone is to email the picture you want to either yourself or another email address and then save the pic off that email
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

dakineyj will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

The cam is WAY better than the one on the HP iPaq 6515 it replaced. The digital zoom phones usually use is never really that good anyway but would be nice. Also it doesn't record video, yet. Those who can't get the pictures off must not be using iPhoto which syncs everytime I hook it up.
QUOTE Thanks
heart attacked

heart attacked is on a distinguished road

I don't get how anyone can say they are disappointed with the camera. Although it doesn't have many features, it takes ****ing great pictures for a phone. I documented my entire trip to Venutra, CA last weekend with my iPhone and I had INCREDIBLE results. Sure, it doesn't have the best picture quality in low-light situations, but if you're really in need of great pictures at all times of the day, bring a camera around. Here's some pictures I took:

I think it takes phenomenal pictures for being on a phone. The best i've used yet.
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Those are great pictures heart attacked!

My experience is similar. If you are looking for a digital camera replacement in the iPhone, you'll be disappointed. If you're looking for something that can take a good quality photo when you've left your regular camera at home, you'll find the iPhone camera to be quite usable. While I wouldn't depend on the iPhone camera for taking my main vacation photos, I would use it for a fill-in picture or two.

Res is 1600x1200, and you simply download them to iPhoto on your Mac. If you're doing this on a Windows machine, you'll need to look for specific instructions. Also, if you don't use iPhoto, you'll need to look for alternative instructions. A good starting point is to download the full user guide for the iPhone from the Apple web site.

If you mail a photo from the iPhone, you'll only send a 640x480 image. You have no other size option as far as I know. It was probably done for bandwidth, given the EDGE network, but I'd still prefer the option of sending a full res image.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
hexonxonx

hexonxonx will become famous soon enough

You know, I've been planning on using my iPhone camera as my only camera when I go on vacation in a few weeks. I'm going to Reno and then over to wherever I end up in California.

Yes I have a pretty good Sony digital Camera but it's just sat in the car with a dead battery since my last vacation a year ago. The iPhone camera will just be more convenient, one device to carry around.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New iPhone Shuffle | A different Battery Problem »