New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone and your SIM Card

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Xjett

Xjett is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody heard of the SIM card situation on the iPhone? Is there a slot that you slide it in to or where does it go? Cause I'd like to be able to remove the card and pop it in to a spare RAZR I have when I go to the beach or something so I don't mess it up.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

in the Introduction of the iPhone in WWDC The presentation running behind the Great Almighty Steve Jobs Showed the different pictures of all angles of the iPhone and on the top it had an arrow pointing that was labeled SIM Card Slot. So I am guessing that you can take out easily.

You might want to check the video out it should be on the Apple Website.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough

Here is the link where you can watch the iPhone introduction.

iPhone Intro
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjett View Post
Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody heard of the SIM card situation on the iPhone? Is there a slot that you slide it in to or where does it go? Cause I'd like to be able to remove the card and pop it in to a spare RAZR I have when I go to the beach or something so I don't mess it up.
I'm not sure doing that is possible on the AT&T network. I'm pretty sure a user's SIM number is tied uniquely to a device's phone number and IMEI number to form the active account. If the RAZR is inactive, I don't think powering the phone on with an active SIM chip will bring it back to the network. You'd have to call Cingular to reactivate the device, and more or less explain what you're doing.

I'm not sure how it all works with personal phone accounts, but I know that at least in an enterprise environment, putting an active Cingular SIM into an inactive phone does nothing. I don't see why it would be different for personal accounts.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

josh, swapping SIM cards between phones on Cingular/AT&T is no problem. As long as his Razr is Cingular branded or unlocked, it'll work just fine.

It's Verizon and Spring that tie phone IMEI numbers to individual numbers. I swap SIM cards all the time with Cingular and never have any issues.

I just noticed something funny. 2 years ago AT&T Wireless became Cingular right around the time my AT&T Wireless contract expired. I renewed for 2 years with Cingular and now that that contract is up, AT&T is back, so now I get to renew my contract under the AT&T name

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

I'll have to agree with Kash. You can swap the SIM Card between phones as long as the phones are either UNLOCKED or Cingular branded.

So Kash I am guessing you like ur service up NJ with Cingular... I mean AT&T . I used to hate them when I lived up there. What part of NJ are u in?
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
josh, swapping SIM cards between phones on Cingular/AT&T is no problem. As long as his Razr is Cingular branded or unlocked, it'll work just fine.

I just noticed something funny. 2 years ago AT&T Wireless became Cingular right around the time my AT&T Wireless contract expired. I renewed for 2 years with Cingular and now that that contract is up, AT&T is back, so now I get to renew my contract under the AT&T name
Thanks for the info Kash. As I said, I wasn't quite familiar with how the personal usage rights work. That's handy to know.

Regarding the switch, I work in the wireless support department for a large health care company, and most of our Blackberries are on Cingular. Imagine how much of a joy it is to switch people from AT&T Wireless to Cingular, then see everything rebranded again. At least this time, it doesn't involve a considerable change in technology, but merely a change in the branding.
QUOTE Thanks
Louie

Louie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Blackbook C2D 1gb ram 120gb

hope that helps you a little.

Black Macbook - iPod touch
QUOTE Thanks
scooter

scooter has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

lol, what exactly is that arrow pointing to?

i used to switch SIM cards when i was with Nextel, so i know on that network it does work.

From a G4 400MHz to an Intel Mac Mini to iMac Core Duo to a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz.............gotta love Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
lol, what exactly is that arrow pointing to?

i used to switch SIM cards when i was with Nextel, so i know on that network it does work.
Same here on Cingular. Have quite a few cell phones and can plug in my SIM card into any of them and it works as long as the phone is not locked to another carrier.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will I be able to Upgrade to iPhone? | iPhone has problems »