New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone...


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
WhiteYfz

 
Member Since: Mar 25, 2006
Posts: 168
WhiteYfz is an unknown at this point

WhiteYfz is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskate View Post
will this come out for Verizon?
READ!:radioacti
QUOTE Thanks
WhiteYfz

 
Member Since: Mar 25, 2006
Posts: 168
WhiteYfz is an unknown at this point

WhiteYfz is offline
i guess theres no ichat?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

 
Zoolook's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 24, 2006
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 2,751
Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Zoolook is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteYfz View Post
i guess theres no ichat?
I haven't seen it mentioned, but there is no technical reason why not.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
yogi

 
yogi's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 14, 2005
Location: St. Gallen, Switzerland
Posts: 1,973
yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

yogi is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteYfz View Post
i would just get one , and unlock it, but then i cant have insurance on it. .which means i would be paying 600 for a new one.. which isnt happening.. unless you can buy it from the apple store and get apple care for it.. thats a diff story ...
It wouldn't work. I think part of Apple's plan of teaming up with ONE provider is software features. Merging calls isn't necessarily gonna work on every provider. I think Cingular has done some hard work too to make the iPhone sing on their network. This won't be an unlockable phone.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

 
Member Since: Jul 22, 2003
Location: Hamilton College
Posts: 7,003
trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

trpnmonkey41 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoslicer8 View Post
I have a feeling that international versions, presumably unlocked, will be going for a premium to US buyers wanting to use on T-Mobile. At least, I assume that they (overseas versions) would be unlocked, since there is no Cingular partner overseas.
I would be very surprised if apple didn't partner up with a european provider as well

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
WhiteYfz

 
Member Since: Mar 25, 2006
Posts: 168
WhiteYfz is an unknown at this point

WhiteYfz is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
It wouldn't work. I think part of Apple's plan of teaming up with ONE provider is software features. Merging calls isn't necessarily gonna work on every provider. I think Cingular has done some hard work too to make the iPhone sing on their network. This won't be an unlockable phone.
this is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41 View Post
I would be very surprised if apple didn't partner up with a european provider as well

me too
QUOTE Thanks
snikro

 
snikro's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 54
snikro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G4 / 1,42Ghz / 1GB / 100Gb / Superdrive / 10.4.11

snikro is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
Watch out for Microsoft - they're never far behind a good idea... :spook:
Oh gosh, the zune... :bomb:
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

 
ToddG's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 28, 2006
Posts: 2,073
ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

ToddG is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41 View Post
Cingular probably paid apple a lot of money for the exclusive rights to it, and they wouldn't demand to cripple the phone like verizon would. Sales will still be very high for a first generation specialty product, and apple will be doing very well with the money from cingular.
Precisely.

First, Apple had to team with someone to develop the software that will run many of the new features that will only be in the iPhone.

Second, Apple is only trying to get 1% of the market over the next year. What percentage of the market is currently owned by smartphone-using Cingular customers? A lot of them are going to switch, I bet. Add the Cingular customers who finally have a reason to get a smartphone ... after all, the impetus for the smart phone was, "Why should I carry a phone & a PDA if I can just carry a phone?" Now it's "Why should I carry a smartphone and an iPod when I can just carry an iPhone?"

I can already think of a dozen reasons why my company should buy me one. The ability to do presentations for customers on my telephone "screen" alone will increase sales and productivity. It would pay for itself the first time I used it.

As for Verizon -- which is my current provider and I've been extremely happy for them -- they are always the slowest to adopt new technology. To their credit, a major reason for this is that they test new phones and equipment to be absolutely certain it will work in their network. Verizon is always the safe choice if you don't need to chase the latest-greatest.

I'm unsure about Cingular; I've certainly heard more than my share of horror stories.

The iPhone is a "probable" for me, pending a better warm-&-fuzzy regarding Cingular over the next six months.
QUOTE Thanks
jc1350

 
Member Since: Jul 12, 2006
Posts: 135
jc1350 will become famous soon enough

jc1350 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41 View Post
The phone will be offered exclusively through Cingular in the US in June, and will come to Europe in Q4 2007, and Asia in 2008. A 4 GB model will be offered for $499 with a 2 year contract, and an 8 GB model will fetch $599 with similar contract provisions.
Never mind. I don't want it THAT much. I was thinking $399 with contract...I could never justify $500+ to the wife for "a phone."
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,599
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
Precisely.

First, Apple had to team with someone to develop the software that will run many of the new features that will only be in the iPhone.

Second, Apple is only trying to get 1% of the market over the next year. What percentage of the market is currently owned by smartphone-using Cingular customers? A lot of them are going to switch, I bet. Add the Cingular customers who finally have a reason to get a smartphone ... after all, the impetus for the smart phone was, "Why should I carry a phone & a PDA if I can just carry a phone?" Now it's "Why should I carry a smartphone and an iPod when I can just carry an iPhone?"

I can already think of a dozen reasons why my company should buy me one. The ability to do presentations for customers on my telephone "screen" alone will increase sales and productivity. It would pay for itself the first time I used it.

As for Verizon -- which is my current provider and I've been extremely happy for them -- they are always the slowest to adopt new technology. To their credit, a major reason for this is that they test new phones and equipment to be absolutely certain it will work in their network. Verizon is always the safe choice if you don't need to chase the latest-greatest.

I'm unsure about Cingular; I've certainly heard more than my share of horror stories.

The iPhone is a "probable" for me, pending a better warm-&-fuzzy regarding Cingular over the next six months.
What I find interesting is that it appears that the primary software synchronization is provided by iTunes. That will never fly in the corporate world (or at least it shouldn't) where the lion's share of Smartphones are deployed. I'm certain this wasn't the target market to begin with, but most consumers (even the tech-loving, trendy ones) will be hard-pressed to change providers and/or shell out almost $600 for a Smartphone - even one that has an "integrated" iPod. It is interesting, nonetheless. My hope is that Apple will license the UI and SFF version of OS X to other phone makers. That would be the major cash cow (IMO). But knowing Apple's track record, they'd rather it crash and burn then to let another company build a phone around their software.
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

 
ToddG's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 28, 2006
Posts: 2,073
ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

ToddG is offline
If a new iTunes comes out that can sync my iPhone with Outlook, Lotus Notes, ACT, or whatever corporate contact system I'm using ... then I doubt anyone will care that it's called "iTunes" and can also be used to jam to tunes.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

 
yogi's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 14, 2005
Location: St. Gallen, Switzerland
Posts: 1,973
yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

yogi is offline
My best guess for Europe is Vodafone. They have the most countries under their arm (including Switzerland, yay, which is non-EU but has a huge Apple Mac Market share of over 10%).

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,599
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
If a new iTunes comes out that can sync my iPhone with Outlook, Lotus Notes, ACT, or whatever corporate contact system I'm using ... then I doubt anyone will care that it's called "iTunes" and can also be used to jam to tunes.
Clearly you don't work in IT We get hung up over Weatherbug, let alone a fat app like iTunes. Internet-centric applications represent a security threat among other things.
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

 
dan828's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 12, 2005
Location: Ceres, Ca
Posts: 670
dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

dan828 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Clearly you don't work in IT We get hung up over Weatherbug, let alone a fat app like iTunes. Internet-centric applications represent a security threat among other things.
Not to mention some sort of new push email that people are going to work with their current email setup. And I'm convinced that weatherbug was made by Satan himself.
QUOTE Thanks
Spartan117

 
Spartan117's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 28, 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 64
Spartan117 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 13inch white 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM

Spartan117 is offline
I have Cingular and hopefully I can upgrade to the iPhone when it comes out. But June??? Ugh. The wait!

There was a post about how Cingular had the Razor first and now other providers have it. I bet if the demand and sales are there then other carriers will have it. Or I wouldnt be surprised if a 2nd Gen iPhone gets released later (maybe not long after) and more carriers get that. Who knows Cingular may be test. Just a thought. Who knows. I am still keeping my iPod!

Best,
Patrick
D/FW, TX
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« is it me, or are the rumors section slow? iphone has been announced | iPhone software »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
The iPhone again... Jem Apple Rumors and Reports 12 01-11-2007 08:08 PM
iPhone / iPod ring-tone... farmcock Schweb's Lounge 3 01-09-2007 07:42 PM
T-Mobile to get iPhone, not Cingular? schweb Apple Rumors and Reports 16 10-19-2006 10:09 PM
iPhone Rumours continue...? quicksilver Schweb's Lounge 3 09-06-2006 06:45 PM
iPhone DigitalN. Apple Rumors and Reports 12 09-01-2006 11:20 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?